PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar Dosing - What To Look For?

Xxero
02/22/2016, 01:19 PM
So I'm not even sure what I'm asking, really...

I just entered Week 2 of vinegar dosing my 40b. I estimate that I have about 40-45 gallons of total water volume (after subtracting rock/sand, etc.), so I am currently dosing about 7ml per day.

I began vinegar dosing in hopes that it would help to lower the nitrate levels in my system. I'm not in a hurry for immediate results, but I am a little curious...Aside from the obvious (being that my nitrate levels will begin to decline), what else should I be looking for? and when can I expect to see some lower nitrate levels if things go the way I'm hoping?

ThanX! :bigeyes:

hkgar
02/22/2016, 01:50 PM
This should help answer your questions. Just substitute vinegar for vodka and multiply the dosing by 8 as vinegar has 8 times the carbon.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

Xxero
02/22/2016, 03:04 PM
Thank you, hkgar! I had not seen that particular article before and I gained a few tid-bits from it.

One thing I learned is that having a deep sand bed may make the nitrate reduction process take longer. I had not heard this before now.

I'm only on day 8, but one thing I have noticed so far is the water clarity difference. I noticed that only a few days in. The water has that same look to it like whenever you run fresh GAC.

I've also noticed a re-population boom of pineapple sponges in my sump. They had petered out to a few here and there, but now they're all over the place.

My nitrate levels are still the same, but I'm numb to that by now.

Thanks again! :bigeyes:

hkgar
02/23/2016, 10:26 AM
It can take 8 - 12 weeks to begin to see any reduction of Nitrate. I am currently dosing 110 ml/day of vinegar to my system with about 165 total gallons. Just continue to increase the dose as prescribed in the article.

tmz
02/23/2016, 11:42 AM
I would not dose more than .5 ml of 5% acetic acid vinegar per gallon of water volume even after amping up slowly.. Be sure to dose it slowly during periods of photsynthetic activity. It can take months for baseline nitrate to decline .
This thread of mine may be of interest:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134105&highlight=organic+carbon+dosing

Xxero
02/23/2016, 01:08 PM
I would not dose more than .5 ml of 5% acetic acid vinegar per gallon of water volume even after amping up slowly.. Be sure to dose it slowly during periods of photsynthetic activity. It can take months for baseline nitrate to decline .
This thread of mine may be of interest:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134105&highlight=organic+carbon+dosing

Hey thanks! I look forward to reading through this.

Now I am going to ask an impatient question.....Is there any way that this isn't going to work?

Xxero
02/23/2016, 01:11 PM
It can take 8 - 12 weeks to begin to see any reduction of Nitrate. I am currently dosing 110 ml/day of vinegar to my system with about 165 total gallons. Just continue to increase the dose as prescribed in the article.

Thanks again, Gary! I have to admit it feels odd adding vinegar to my little reef. My mom used to clean with this stuff! :lmao:

tmz
02/23/2016, 01:18 PM
Any way it won't work? Yes Maybe a given tank isn't carbon limited for example. Maybe, the bacteria wane for lack of another nutrient and harmful organic carbon builds up. Maybe with some organic carbon sources like more complex polymers reactions harmful to certain organisms happen. Many have had success with organic carbon dosing over the last 5 or so years.I've been using vodka and vinegar for over 6 years in a heavily fed system. PO4 is 0.02 to 0.04ppm per hanah 713; NO3 is around 0.2ppm. A wide variety of corals have maintained long term vibrancy.

Xxero
02/23/2016, 01:28 PM
PO4 is 0.02 to 0.04ppm per hanah 713; NO3 is around 0.2ppm. A wide variety of corals have maintained long term vibrancy.

<---Jealous :lol: Thanks Tom!

tmz
02/23/2016, 02:40 PM
Your welcome.

hkgar
02/23/2016, 03:25 PM
Tom,

Reading the first post in your thread that you referenced above, is using a GAC reactor required for successful use of carbon dosing, or just suggested?

tmz
02/23/2016, 07:22 PM
Suggested. I use one with a little GAC. GAC is very good at removing organics . High TOC(total organic carbon ) can be harmful and may occur when dosing organic carbon.

wheelman76
02/24/2016, 01:03 AM
This should help answer your questions. Just substitute vinegar for vodka and multiply the dosing by 8 as vinegar has 8 times the carbon.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

I think you have that backwards , vodka is 8 times stronger than vinegar , not the other way around.

tmz
02/24/2016, 11:38 AM
80 proof vodka is 40% ethanol and 60% water.
Plain white vinegar is typically 5% acetic acid and 95% water about 8 times weaker than 80proof vodka in terms of the organic carbon content.

jonwright
02/24/2016, 11:54 AM
One thing I saw with my aquarium was a buildup of (presumably) bacteria flocculation that accumulated in my plumbing. So when I stopped the main pump to feed when it kicked back on that white stuff floated for quite a while in the tank. Also got hung up on the corals, rocks etc.

I reduced the carbon source (vodka/vinegar mix) significantly and it eased up. Nitrates also increased.

I'm still dosing and will continue to do so. Perhaps a got a little heavy-handed with my ramp up.

So it's gonna take a while to find what exactly works for you. This go round with the ramp up I'm not going as quickly as the articles say to do.

Still - worth doing.

Xxero
02/24/2016, 12:39 PM
I'm following the common dosing chart, and so far, just sticking with vinegar:

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/vinegar_lg_zpsxf17qe9e.jpg

To be honest, I went into this a little skeptical. Don't get me wrong, carbon dosing makes perfect sense and I have heard many positive outcomes. But I've been staring at my immovable nitrate level for so long that I can't help but to be a little cynical.

I have to say that visually, I can SEE a difference already. The water clarity is like crystal; my livestock are very unaffected; I haven't had to clean my glass in almost 2 weeks; and my LPS and softies seem to be enjoying this immensely. My skimmer isn't going too nuts, but it has definitely increased in skimmate production, which I find to be a very good thing. I'm trying not to get too pumped up, but many positive things are beginning to come around.

I really appreciate all of the advice and feedback. Thanks fish people! :bigeyes:

hkgar
02/24/2016, 01:27 PM
I think you have that backwards , vodka is 8 times stronger than vinegar , not the other way around.

Right you are, at least I had the multipling part right. Sometimes this old brain just won't fire right.