PDA

View Full Version : Help me make sure I'm on the right track!

NekoTwilight
02/22/2016, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone!

New to the saltwater/reefing hobby (well, and fishkeeping really). About 3 months ago I bought a Nuvo 10 with the intent of making a nice reef tank. About a week ago I lost all of my fish to ich (overstocking and poor water quality I think were 90% of that).

It sucks to lose lives to negligence/ignorance so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right now. The tank is still up and running. I'm checking water quality weekly (parameters below) and putting some food in the tank everyday to maintain the input/output of organics. I plan to keep the tank fishless for another 5 weeks at which time I will introduce a fish. I hope to keep two eventually but if that's too many I'll keep it at one. Would love opinions on this.

The tank had 4 fish in it based on advice I had gotten at a pet store. I wish I had done research on this, because I now assume the young tank couldn't cope with the heavy organics load and the resulting water quality made the fish more susceptible to the ich. I transferred them to a hospital tank and treated with copper but was unfortunately too late.

How often should I change water? I'm currently doing 20% every week. When should I test? I'm testing the water every day before the water change.

Big question right now is that I have some red slime algae that's creeping up onto the rocks and sand. I have a hammer coral that it's getting close to. I'm currently stirring up the sand everyday to keep it from forming. Is this the right call? I can't really vacuum it up because it makes a mat on the sand. Should I just not touch it and let it run its course?

ammonia: 0
nitrate: 5
mg: 1320-1340
alk: 9.9
calcium: 385

I have an AI Prime light, ghost skimmer and vortech mp10. Current inhabitants are an emerald crab, nassarius snail and Mexican turbo snail (who is slowly doing some work on the significant algae buildup - I didn't have much of a cleanup crew).

Thank you for any help!

thegrun
02/22/2016, 04:51 PM
To be sure your tank does not still have ich, you need to keep it without fish for 72 days, you don't give a date on when you removed the fish so be sure you go 72 days from that date. Stop feeding the tank, the bacteria can live a year without food, all you do by putting food in the tank is make the algae worse. At most add a small pinch once a week, but really adding any food is unnecessary. How long are you running your lights?
As far as fish go, I would limit it to a single fish for your 10 gallon tank. You could add a small shrimp in addition to the fish. Live Aquaria has a Nano Tank fish section, chose an appropriate fish from their list:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

NekoTwilight
02/22/2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks! It has been one week so I guess I have about 9 more to go! My understanding regarding the tank was that it helps establish the bioload, but I'll definitely stop for now. Maybe once a week for the coral. For lights I'm currently running 10 hours a day. They ramp up for 2 hours and then ramp down for 2 hours.

I'll stick with one fish and an invert then. Thank you for your help!