PDA

View Full Version : Mantis shrimp refugium safe?

dingodan87
02/23/2016, 09:01 AM
So after 6 months of still finding gorilla crabs, aggressive pistol shrimp, etc. in my display I've decided I'd like something to feed them to rather then have them executed. My refugium is built for the sole purpose of supplying Copepods and other micro fauna to feed my display. Will a mantis shrimp harm these populations or do they strictly eat larger prey?

nmotz
02/23/2016, 09:15 AM
If you get a really small mantis (less than 1.5"), they might hunt larger amphipods. I had a Neo Oerstedii that used to do that. Otherwise they will not harm any micro fauna. Just make sure whatever mantis you get is the proper size to deal with your crab populations (ie if they're big crabs you'll need a big mantis).

dingodan87
02/23/2016, 09:24 AM
Alright what size would you recommend to take out this 1.5" pistol shrimp I just caught?

EI Gringo
02/23/2016, 10:04 AM
A standard 2-3 inch smasher would do the job, any Gonodactylus would suffice, id go with a chiragra if you can as long as your sump is fairly robust, (4mm plus thickness glass)

Calappidae
02/23/2016, 12:06 PM
Pretty much what they said.

I'm still stratching my head about why you'd want the pistol shrimp killed, those guys are pretty harmless and actually you could just throw them in any system. They're never problem unless you're worries about snails or hermit crabs getting trapped in their burrows.

nmotz
02/23/2016, 01:53 PM

I'm still stratching my head about why you'd want the pistol shrimp killed, those guys are pretty harmless and actually you could just throw them in any system. They're never problem unless you're worries about snails or hermit crabs getting trapped in their burrows.

Some people do report pistol shrimp becoming aggressive. I had a Caribbean species that was very aggressive. He always attacked any small crabs that came near his burrow. They also move lots of substrate and can make LR unstable in worst case scenarios.

I've always wanted a Bullseye pistol. LA gets them every now and then but I have no where to put it except my 40B and Neptune would ruin that scenario. He's been grumpy since he molted, lol. He killed my Fire shrimp, my last peppermint shrimp, all my snails, and several emeralds that I hoped would live long enough to reduce my bubble algae problem.

Calappidae
02/23/2016, 02:57 PM
By caribbean species do you bychance mean the curly cue anemone hosting kind?

Bullseye can be a mixed bag. I know they're very terroritoral but I'm still skeptical when it comes to their capabilities to actually kill something. Snails yes, they can kill a snail just like a cleaner shrimp could, but I never thought of them as threats.

nmotz
02/23/2016, 03:06 PM
Yeah it was an Alpheus Armatus. Mean little bugger until my Peacock finally got a hold of him.

I think what intrigues me about the Bullseye is that they don't have a commensal relationship with anything and that tells me that maybe they have more of a predator instinct about them. But I've never read anything definitive about them either, so it's tough to say exactly what they'd be like I guess.

dingodan87
02/23/2016, 07:36 PM

I bought a goby for him to pair with..he killed it. Killed snails, peppermint shrimp and another fish. It was a hitch hiker and although I appreciate him stirring the substrate, he is killing livestock and costing me $$! Time for a new home for him. As I can't free him in our local waters, will not ship him back to the shores of Florida, and my lfs doesn't want him...well...

Sully72
02/25/2016, 01:46 PM
Maybe try a couple different fish stores in the area somebody has to be willing to take him.