PDA

View Full Version : Sps coral identification tricks

reefbroao
02/23/2016, 12:01 PM
I know there's a thread for this but I'd like information on how to accurately identify each type of sps. For instance millipora, tort, tinius. I have found it hard to find a comprehensive thread that can teach the finer points of identification aside from the obvious.

Tweaked
02/23/2016, 12:44 PM
Yea so there is like 180 different acropora species. Studying and just plain experience are the best ways to identification. Also, growth patterns can vary from tank to tank further complicating the id process.

reefbroao
02/23/2016, 12:51 PM
Yeah I have tried looking at the less known species, but it seems like time will only teach this. Is there any thread/ info with the basics of identification. Honestly Ive been seeing a lot of people in my local group that will label everything "acro" and i'm quite honestly unsure if some people even know there are sub-categories. So with that said I'd like to be able to give better advice to them. I certainly don't know everything but nothing does it for me like sps.

rovster
02/23/2016, 04:25 PM
There are a couple of online databases. I'll see if I can dig them up. They give you the species, and identifying characteristics. Even then its difficult, and you'll soon learn that the bigger the colony the easier it is to identify. You'll also learn that color has nothing to do with ID, although certain species tend to exhibit certain colors. There are certain corals that are also easier to ID because their defining characteristics are more obvious, even then most have only subtle differences. Look for posts by Frick in the ID forum, they are very helpful and he would post links to one of the databases I'm referring to.

vette.tech
02/23/2016, 06:07 PM
You really just need to be exposed to it. At first they pretty much all look the same, then and I'll use beer as an example, the finer details start to become more apparent. All ipa style beers used to be the same to me, now I notice all the subtle "notes"....same deal

reefbroao
02/23/2016, 10:16 PM
Well I've come to the point where i have a solid handle on what is what by growth pattern with polyps and all that. Coloring can vary from tank to tank, I'd just like to study up as much as I can, because as I said I know ill always be an sps guy, there's just something that clicked and I don't see anything else the way I see sps.

rovster
02/24/2016, 06:35 AM
You really just need to be exposed to it. At first they pretty much all look the same, then and I'll use beer as an example, the finer details start to become more apparent. All ipa style beers used to be the same to me, now I notice all the subtle "notes"....same deal

I love me a good IPA lol!

Webmanny
02/24/2016, 08:19 AM
Well.... If you really want to get all the details, check out this link. To me, this is the most complete and comprehensive database of corals. Good luck learning them all. There are 169 species of Acropora alone in this database.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/factsheets.jsp

You can also check out CoralPedia.

http://www.coralpedia.com/

Tweaked
02/24/2016, 10:26 AM
Most gals and gals overseas know their acroporas by their scientific names, where as we in the states are consumed with trade names.

Mandrake
02/24/2016, 04:53 PM
"Corals Of The World" by JEN Veron is an excellent book to have , pictures , descriptions , and scientific stuff too. I look through it a lot. Tons of knowledge from IMO the worlds preeminent coral expert.

Fredfish
02/24/2016, 06:52 PM
"Corals Of The World" by JEN Veron is an excellent book to have , pictures , descriptions , and scientific stuff too. I look through it a lot. Tons of knowledge from IMO the worlds preeminent coral expert.
Indeed. When you look at what he does to identify corals, it leaves you wondering at how people can be so certain of ID based on a picture alone. Add in low cost genetic sequencing and even Veron's extensive work is being re-shuffled.

Its loads of fun trying to figure out what a coral is, just take IDs with a grain of salt.