PDA

View Full Version : Tangs turned aggressive

RussellHill
02/23/2016, 05:43 PM
I have a 3" Hippo Tang and a 3.5" yellow tang that have over the last couple of days turned aggressive towards my large Solar wrasse and yellow tailed Tamarin wrasse. They have been together for a while but just snapped. They have been getting along great but now the wrasses hide when it's time to eat- I feed twice a day in my 125g reef and give nori in the morning.
Will this subside? Will the wrasses get more courageous as they more hungry? Why would this happen out of the blue?- nothing had been changed in the tank.
Thank you

alton
02/24/2016, 06:19 AM
I have a fish store owner that has 12 tangs, his secret is feed more algae and less meat. He has stated that if he feeds too much meaty foods his tangs get aggressive, so he feeds a bunch of algae and aggression subsides

scooter31707
02/24/2016, 07:38 AM
Well one problem I see is you have 2 of the aggressive Tangs in a 125 gallon tank. The Hippo belongs when a way bigger tank. Anyway, they are starting to stake out territory as they are growing. This is why the experts tell to get the tang that fits your tank and if they don't, don't get a tang. Also I have notice, the aggression is fairly peaceful if there is only a single tang, but when you have more than 1 in a confine space it's not going to be pretty and you are experiencing that now. That's why you see a lot of experts say it may not happen right then, but it will eventually happen (a ticking time bomb) and I think yours just went off.

jbvdhp
02/24/2016, 04:23 PM
Should subside. My tangs put all new comers in check, and check each other once in a while.

Interestingly though, the blue hippo and yellow I had for 4-5 years (RIP) were very well mannered and never bullied anyone. My Purple tang... Forget about it- mean for a few days and then doesn't care.

RussellHill
05/21/2016, 09:17 PM
Hippo has completely mellowed out

JohnnyHildo
05/22/2016, 12:42 PM
i added a purple tang 5 days ago to my tank and haven't seen my yellow and purple wrasse since.
no real concerns yet as my tank has a screened cover and i know he is just being what most wrasses are, nervous and skittish.