PDA

View Full Version : Is the reef supplement market similar to that of vitamins for people?

creator
02/24/2016, 12:08 AM
Hi, I am curious about our reef supplement market and how it works. I know someone who just started their "own" line of products like calcium, magnesium etc. This person has no background in reef chemistry or even chemistry/ biology for that matter.

Several stores are already selling their products and the claim is being made it is better than anything and everything out there/ the best company to happen to our hobby in decades (these are both very bold claims and were told to me directly by the person) i.e. their calcium is better than any other calcium on the market

So is this system like that of the vitamin market for humans?

I.e. Someone with a lot of money purchases a bulk amount of ginseng for example, puts it in capsules, bottles it and then brands it and sells it with claims like this ginseng is better than all other ginseng supplements while ten other companies are using the same exact ginseng? Likewise, someone buys bulk liquid calcium, bottles it, brands it, and then sells it?

Or is different from the supplement/vitamin market for humans? And this brand of liquid calcium, magnesium etc could very well be better than everything else out there?

I am just curious how this all works and about the validity of claims that this "new" calcium is better than all other calcium out there and will make your corals grow faster than any other brand especially coming from someone without any background in the sciences.

USC-fan
02/24/2016, 12:43 AM
Yes of course.

*cough* purple up *cough*

Member No. 1
02/24/2016, 04:38 AM
Does Pinocchio have a wooden bum?

There are a lot of snake oils out there. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Best bet... read/research here... see what others use with success, then draw your own conclusions.

I tried a well know supplement line with little to no results.

I am now in the middle of a new study and so far I like the results I am seeing.
Wow, in a middle of a new study... haha! All professional! Like I know what the heck i'm doing!

snorvich
02/24/2016, 06:06 AM
Yes of course.

*cough* purple up *cough*

Yes, of course.

Dmorty217
02/24/2016, 06:26 AM
Does Pinocchio have a wooden bum?

There are a lot of snake oils out there. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Best bet... read/research here... see what others use with success, then draw your own conclusions.

I tried a well know supplement line with little to no results.

I am now in the middle of a new study and so far I like the results I am seeing.
Wow, in a middle of a new study... haha! All professional! Like I know what the heck i'm doing!

HEHE:clown: