PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse powerheads & other

cgilkey.msu.edu
02/24/2016, 12:48 AM
Hello RC community,

1st timer to RC here. I'm interested in everyones input as to what powerheads you recommend for seahorses/pipefish. Im working with a standard 55gal drilled with a 10gal wet/dry triple filter sump. Have a waveline dc2500h return pump, RO 110INT protein skimmer, and 2 tunze 6015. These 6015s worry me. No chiller or seahorses/pipe yet but that's the plan here. My first priority is getting the right powerheads for no dead spots or dead seahorses/pipefish due to suction/tailchop. Would 2 Hydro Pico Evo Mag 180s work in replacement? 1 on each side? I see that people are wrapping Hydro Koralia Nanos for protection. Would 2 of the HKN 240s work in a 55? What about adding a Hydro flo rotating deflector? Also, if the power goes out how long does a seahorse have until suffocation? Sorry about the run here. I know it's a lot but I'm really trying to not kill anything if possible. Thanks for any help.

CG

Joke
02/24/2016, 03:56 AM
Use the powerhead of your choice and make a mesh cage around it.

vlangel
02/24/2016, 10:01 AM
I use rio pumps. The guard on them is a tight, close grating and I have never seen one of my seahorses hitch to it. They do like to hitch to the wire however but there is no danger there. They are durable and economical to buy and there are lots of flow options in the low ranges. I use 80s and 180.
In regards to the electricity going out I have a Penn Plax battery back up on my tank with a plug so it senses when the electricity goes out. It automatically turns on. It requires 2 D batteries to operate and I think it would give you a minimum of 24 hours. They are under $20 at most lfs.

vlangel
02/24/2016, 10:04 AM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/vlangelbike/Mobile%20Uploads/20151014_211214_zpsd8bzm2io.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/vlangelbike/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151014_211214_zpsd8bzm2io.jpg.html)
Here is a pic of my battery backup pump.

rayjay
02/24/2016, 11:39 AM
Please reconsider mixing seahorses and pipefish together unless you buy true captive bred pipefish from the same breeding source as the seahorses.

pfan151
02/24/2016, 02:33 PM
Please reconsider mixing seahorses and pipefish together unless you buy true captive bred pipefish from the same breeding source as the seahorses.

Is there a problem mixing pipefish from ocean rider with seahorses from seahorse source? I was planning to add a couple pipefish to my Erectus tank at some point but I won't if it may cause problems.

Jeff4777
02/24/2016, 02:36 PM
Is there a problem mixing pipefish from ocean rider with seahorses from seahorse source? I was planning to add a couple pipefish to my Erectus tank at some point but I won't if it may cause problems.

One could introduce pathogens or something harmful to the other in which it has no immunity to. Its a gamble.

pfan151
02/24/2016, 07:13 PM
Guess that makes sense. Probably won't risk it.

cgilkey.msu.edu
02/24/2016, 08:57 PM
That's a great point about the pipefish and mixing them. This has been great info. That Penn Plex is a great idea too. Will look into the Rio heads. Sounds just like what I was looking for

rayjay
02/24/2016, 11:29 PM
In my mind, ANY mixing of syngnathid species is potentially a problem but the worst scenario I believe is mixing pipefish with seahorses. As I mentioned, the best case scenario would be OR's captive bred pipefish with their seahorses, but next case in line would be OR's captive bred pipefish with any captive bred seahorses. Because the OR's pipefish may have different pathogens than Dan's seahorses, it's possible that losses may occur, but the chances are NOT as great as if you used any other pipefish.
Why not ask Dan what HE thinks about the mixing?

pfan151
02/25/2016, 01:14 PM
In my mind, ANY mixing of syngnathid species is potentially a problem but the worst scenario I believe is mixing pipefish with seahorses. As I mentioned, the best case scenario would be OR's captive bred pipefish with their seahorses, but next case in line would be OR's captive bred pipefish with any captive bred seahorses. Because the OR's pipefish may have different pathogens than Dan's seahorses, it's possible that losses may occur, but the chances are NOT as great as if you used any other pipefish.
Why not ask Dan what HE thinks about the mixing?

Good plan. I'll send them an email.

vlangel
02/25/2016, 06:06 PM
Good plan. I'll send them an email.
Would you mind posting what Dan says as I would be interested in hearing. I have OR seahorses and an OR pipefish. I love having both but I would like to purchase seahorses from Dan from now on but I do still enjoy the pipefish in with them.

pfan151
02/25/2016, 07:16 PM
Would you mind posting what Dan says as I would be interested in hearing. I have OR seahorses and an OR pipefish. I love having both but I would like to purchase seahorses from Dan from now on but I do still enjoy the pipefish in with them.

Sure. I'll let you know.

Do your pipefish eat from the shell like the seahorses? Have you seen any breeding?

vlangel
02/27/2016, 04:29 PM
Sure. I'll let you know.

Do your pipefish eat from the shell like the seahorses? Have you seen any breeding?
Yes, my pipe eats from a dish with the seahorses. No although I think I had a male and female(since they did not fight) but I never saw eggs or even behavoirs that look like courtship.

pfan151
02/27/2016, 06:27 PM
Yes, my pipe eats from a dish with the seahorses. No although I think I had a male and female(since they did not fight) but I never saw eggs or even behavoirs that look like courtship.

What happened to your other pipe?

vlangel
02/28/2016, 06:02 PM
What happened to your other pipe?

I am not really sure of the cause but somewhere around 6 mos it died. I always imagined that it was a female because it was always the smaller of the 2 but I don't know if that is an accurate way to guess. That was probably a year or more ago and the one I have left seems just fine without its companion.

cgilkey.msu.edu
02/29/2016, 12:57 AM
Is there a good place to order a captive bred SH at a fair cost online?

pfan151
02/29/2016, 07:24 AM

SeahorseSource is the way to go IMO

rayjay
02/29/2016, 08:50 AM
The key here is "fair cost".
What is a fair cost to the breeder is not often construed to be fair by the potential buyers.
Compared to the cheaper Asian imports that are tank bred/raised, true captive bred seahorses involve more costs to get to salable size due to the extra costs of properly treating and filtering the water to lessen the chances of pathogen kill off of the seahorses occurring once you purchase the seahorses.
However, if you have to replace your cheaper seahorses more often, the price could end up costing you much more than if you bought the true captive bred seahorses right from the start.
IMO, there IS no better place to buy than the already mentioned seahorsesource.com.

cgilkey.msu.edu
03/01/2016, 02:56 PM
Perfect advise. Thanks