PDA

View Full Version : Blue flash in my tank

Latrodectus
02/24/2016, 01:21 AM
This may sound a little weird but i think ive seen few blue flickering close to my hydor koralia 750 power head i am not sure what to think about this ive heard story about power leakage and electrical shock from them but i dont see this anymore i tried to test the pump in a bucket with a voltimeter its say -0.8 not very sure how to work with this the pump work and tried to move the wire to see if it doing it again nothing

It was very dark maybe it was some kind of light outside the tank i dont think so but maybe

Sorry for my english i am french

PAXpress
02/24/2016, 12:12 PM
This may sound a little weird but i think ive seen few blue flickering close to my hydor koralia 750 power head i am not sure what to think about this ive heard story about power leakage and electrical shock from them but i dont see this anymore i tried to test the pump in a bucket with a voltimeter its say -0.8 not very sure how to work with this the pump work and tried to move the wire to see if it doing it again nothing

It was very dark maybe it was some kind of light outside the tank i dont think so but maybe

Sorry for my english i am french
If it did indeed come from the pump it doesn't sound like something I'd like to leave in my tank... Could shock you, your fish or cause any other kind of problem that just isn't worth the risk. Can you exchange or return the pump? I would think if you call hydor they would replace it for you or if you bought it through amazon or in store somewhere just return or exchange it. Not worth the headache!

Steve Atkins
02/24/2016, 01:55 PM
Might also be some sort of bio luminescence involving some creature and the flow from that pump. Can you put a different pump in for a while to see it you still see the flashes.

Latrodectus
02/24/2016, 02:58 PM
Ive seen the flash only one time and its flashed for about 2 minute

ReefWreak
02/24/2016, 02:58 PM
Do you run LEDs that dim? I know when my LEDs unplug, even if they're at 0%, they will flash. They also flash when I plug them in, even if the dimming is still at 0%.

If you have electrical discharge in your tank from a pump, you should NOT use the pump. You would almost certainly NOT see sparks under water, as the electricity doesn't have to jump from contact to contact, as it does in air, as the water will conduct the current (particularly salt water, but really any water that isn't RO/DI 0TDS).

The light you saw is most likely from outside your tank and entirely unrelated. Entirely another matter, if you are getting electrical current from your powerhead, you should not use it as a matter of safety.

Latrodectus
02/24/2016, 03:21 PM
my blue led are unpluged from a timer the night and they where off

the more i am researching about this i doubt it was the power head i did many test with it and there NO leakage from it

the flash ive seen doesnt look like electrical short ... it was to long more like a flashing worm bioluminescent animal or i dont know ...

and i dont use the pump i dont want to kill the animal but i think it was not the pump ...
oh and yhea i d'int mention that the night ive seen this i was really f****d up from the a party maybe thats something i should take in consideration