PDA

View Full Version : When to start ATS new setup

dpulve
02/24/2016, 09:58 AM
My setup is getting closer and closer to me finally getting water going. I have a 145 60"x24"x24" tank with a basement sump (fish room) with the sump being bigger than the tank.. 84"x18x18. I really want to DIY a ATS for the first time and I was just wondering do I start it as soon as possible? Wait for the cycle or sometime after?

Thanks,
Dan

AZRippster
02/24/2016, 10:09 AM
You'll need NO3 and PO4 readily available in your water for the ATS to get going. I would have it ready and installed, but not activated until you start getting a real bio-load going in your tank.

dpulve
02/24/2016, 10:17 AM
Got ya thats kind of what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. For the flow thru the ATS i can just pipe off of my return pump since its a new build, correct?

Thanks

AZRippster
02/24/2016, 10:24 AM
Got ya thats kind of what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. For the flow thru the ATS i can just pipe off of my return pump since its a new build, correct?

Thanks

That's totally up to you. As long as your intended return flow is not impeded I do not see a problem. I run mine off of a manifold distribution systems. Others have a dedicated pump. It's really your call.

outy
02/24/2016, 10:29 AM
For the flow thru the ATS i can just pipe off of my return pump since its a new build, correct?

Thanks

That's what I do.

Wait for the cycle or sometime after?

It wont hurt to start now.

ca1ore
02/24/2016, 10:50 AM
I've always started the ATS right away.

AZRippster
02/24/2016, 11:20 AM

Thanks

The big drawback I can see happening in this design is when you need to shut off your return pump, your ATS screen will stop receiving water. A couple times a week I shut off my main pump for about 30 minutes when I feed pappone to my corals. There is also the monthly water change when my main pump is turned off. Having a dedicated pump or manifold feeding the ATS from the sump keeps water going over the screen. Just a consideration to keep in mind.

dpulve
02/24/2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the info. Buying a pump for the ATS wont be a huge expense since the flow requirements arent huge so thats not a bad idea. Time to build!

AZRippster
02/24/2016, 12:56 PM
If you think you'll be running any reactors, chiller, or any number of other filtration or support devices, consider a manifold. You'll need only one pump this way and you can direct the flow and the amount thereof to the devices you want to include the ATS. Just a forethought rather than an afterthought.