PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Nitrate Test Kit Accuracy

cmoresps
02/24/2016, 10:47 PM
I have a sps dominant system that is ULN. Its so ULN I have to dose nitrate. I had a salifert test kit which I did trust but the color and response I got from the acros did not match up (burnt pale, look starved). Dosing nitrate definately helps the issue, but I wanted to make sure I was truely at 2ppm, so I bought elos. Elos read zero while salifert is reading 2ppm. So I bought Red Sea Pro, I like the test and it too read zero while salifert was saying 2ppm. I set up a dosing pump to dose sodium nitrate, salifert now saying 5ppm, Red Sea saying .25ppm.

Question is: Red Sea claims the test is highly accurate and elos seems to confirm it. Has anyone ever tested Red Sea against La Motte for accuracy?

bertoni
02/25/2016, 12:09 AM
Nitrate test kits get a lot of complaints about accuracy. There are nitrogen-nitrate standard solutions available if you'd like to try to verify some sort of accuracy. I'm not sure that it's worth the effort. I haven't heard of anyone testing the current LaMotte and Red Sea kits, but someone might have done it.

Xxero
02/25/2016, 05:47 AM
I have the Red Sea nitrate test and the API brand, and they match up perfectly. I know that doesn't answer your question in regards to La Motte, but it's one more test kit comparison that might confirm Red Sea's accuracy.