PDA

View Full Version : quick question on clown habits of breeding.

spsfreak25
02/25/2016, 07:19 PM
Ok so I know the first few steps of them breeding, but today I have noticed my male clown nesting more than before. He is picking up sand with his mouth and moves it. He is picking at the rocks alot right under the nem. I have also noticed the female clown getting pretty aggressive all around her nem and under the nem. Could they be very close to laying there first batch of eggs?

shifty51008
02/25/2016, 11:08 PM
They are cleaning a spot for eggs. But i have seen them do this for a long time before laying any eggs.

peseifert
02/27/2016, 10:35 PM
You are seeing the initial stage of spawning. Typically the male cleans a spot on a rocky area, not necessarily near an anemone, unless the pair hosts in it regularly.
Just witnessed my 8 year old percolate reviving a dormant passion this afternoon. Male cleared spot, fired up some "Barry White"tunes, female came in and laid a big clutch of orange eggs. Male dutifully fertilized and now is busily fanning the eggs. Will do so until hatch. Keep watching you may see lots of little eyes looking back at you in a few days.
Glad to catch them in action. They would spawn almost monthly over 2-3 years, but have not been 'in the mood" lately.
Great fun to watch the whole process. Catching the fry will be a challenge.

merlinpi
02/29/2016, 09:31 PM
when the clownfish are still in the "twitching" phase is it still far from breeding? ( they have been twitching for about 3 weeks just after having hosted a rose BTA).

CaliCal
04/13/2016, 10:12 PM
they always "twitch" you will know its close when they get really aggressive from what they usually do.

hbrochs
04/14/2016, 08:25 AM
Look all around very carefully, they may have laid eggs and you haven't spotted them yet. I'm pretty sure mine laid multiple clutches of eggs before I noticed them on the underside of an arched rock. Gotta kneel on the floor and look up to see them, lol. Also, they are orange for the first two or three days, then they turn black and they are harder to see when they are black.