PDA

View Full Version : Damaged scolymia - recovery

mikluha
02/25/2016, 08:11 PM
One of my scoly decided to make a jump (or somebody helped it) right on top of mussa coral. Mussa had an all-night-feast. Scoly was half-gone, less than half of mouth left.

I did not expect it survive (that's why i did not make any pictures).

Still I wanted to try my homemade amino-mix (if Restor works well, why similar mix shouldn't). So I put it in the ICU made out of small plastic box in which small berries are sold in our supermarket. It protects poor creature from hermits (how can you protect eaten food if you can't close the mouth?) and allows me to move it out of tank for feeding.

This coral is fed almost daily. I put it for couple of hours in the container in which I add:
1) Homemade amino-mix http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24229249&postcount=13
2) Soy milk
3) Homemade selcone

Scoly eats like a pig. In 3 weeks it grew mouth back and lots of tissue around it.
I don't feed it "solid" food (pieces of shrimps, etc) - only liquid. It appreas it can pull solids out of soymilk (while mouth was open I could see white solid stuff).

Will update on progress.

Most likely, after it recovers I simply split it into 2-3 pieces for propagation.

outy
02/25/2016, 08:17 PM
Not sure I would feed it.

I had one I saved from a bad pet store, had it a decade or more now.

Not as bad as yours.

mikluha
02/25/2016, 08:33 PM
so far it's recovering nicely with feeding.

Reef Frog
03/04/2016, 03:11 PM
Ouch!

Don't let algae colonize any skeleton that may be exposed.

I've read accounts & seen pics of scolys that have been fragged in half or even smaller and they grew out. So your chances may be very good - best of luck.