PDA

View Full Version : pressurized sand filtration

dtb125
02/26/2016, 01:14 AM
i must be insane but here goes. i am building a system with fluidized sand, sunp, and pressurized sand filter. hoping someone has experience with pressurized sand as this can be serious business if to much air gets in the line.really dont want to drill the tank as i have been filling the tank with ro/di for three days now.

dtb125
02/26/2016, 01:15 AM
berlin skimmer with a venturi i printed on a 3d printer at school

dtb125
02/26/2016, 01:31 AM
how im trying to do this is overflow into fluid sand into sump into 20gl into pressurized sand filter so i dont have to back wash the sand very often. i then realized this wont work with overflow do to risk 3/4 hp pump draining sump to fast and making the pressurized sand filter explode.

dtb125
02/26/2016, 01:35 AM
open to any ideas

stephenhall1987
02/27/2016, 09:30 AM
I've never seen one used on a saltwater fish tank. Are you using a standard pool sand filter, or are you building your own? Pictures?

dtb125
02/29/2016, 09:12 PM
ok im back sorry for delay. 1/2 tank 1/2 finals.i think the warnning is a little overkill as long as the valves are open.2400 might be a bit much for a 125 gl. ido have to make sure it stays dry and is well grounded.i did the math and i should be able to keep air out of pump return. if not will slide in my 40gl. trying to figure out how to post photos directly from computer. it is half diy and half pool filter with the sand. im running classic sump and skimmer now.the plan has changed some.should look like 1"downpipe from overflow to a y valve one just open the other will lead to a ball valve and the fluidized sand filter, then through sump into a 20 gal with skimmer and return hose through pool filter(14" tall) little blue pot belly.

dtb125
03/02/2016, 03:34 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10796&pictureid=74082

dtb125
03/02/2016, 10:07 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10796&pictureid=74081

dtb125
03/02/2016, 10:08 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10796&pictureid=74083

dtb125
03/02/2016, 10:12 AM
there are the pics if anyone is out there. there has to to be someone here who has the low down on pressurized sand filtration. couldnt post video of fluidized sand filter that i use on my fresh 55 to show half of it in action, sorry.

outy
03/03/2016, 12:08 PM
. there has to to be someone here who has the low down on pressurized sand filtration. .

Not really a used marine application.

Most of what you personally are using it for, have long been replaced by easier more hobby friendly methods.

In the end it may just be as big nitrate producer as it traps detritus that could easily be removed by a filter sock.

dtb125
03/05/2016, 05:31 PM
was hoping to prevent the insane amount of back washing with the fluidized sand and sump separation. the water comes out of sand filter very clear.but what your saying is precisely what i am trying to avoid. i might be doing all this extra in the beginning to make things low maintenance and it just not work.using bacteria from 15 year old reef,pumice,skimmer and sump now.all this seems a bit much just because i dont want to harvest alge every three days but it should give me incredibly redundant stability if i get it right. i never have to do anything to my fluidized sand filter in my fresh but rinse the pump out every three months or so.but have never gotten better results than pulling the water through the sand it just always turns to constant maintenance and a pump killer. i know its a matter of time before the pumice/live rock filter becomes a nitrate trap wich tis the whole reason i want to get the suspended sand going.pressurized sand might be a pipe dream but i cant shakke feeling i can get both going been wrestling with the concept a long time and feel im geting close.
as far as the filter sock it reall just keeps the waterfall from the skimmer quiet since the pumice seems to polish the water better somehow.thank you for you response.