PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me solve this? Clueless..

LA ICK WARRIOR
02/26/2016, 04:43 PM
Okay so i have a 10 gallon reef tank with 2 live rocks and 1 dry live rock? 1 diamond goby, fireshrimp, 4 hermit crabs and another shrimp thats symbiolic to the goby. I have a hob filter a powerhead pointed to the top agitating the top of the water. Pretty good flow throughout. No skimmer( weekly 15-25% waterchanges and anal net cleaning until almost no particles left). No substrate btw.Temp is about 80-82. Calk 420 , dkh 9, nitrite-0 nitrate nearly 0, phosphate-0, ammonia-0, high rang ph- 7.6. I noticed my goby breathing semi rapidly- with big gulps. Besides that the the corals have been losing color, deteriorting, and not opening up fully and lately not at all. I feel like my tank is about to die in its entirety but all the tests minus the ph are very good. What the hell is going on? Side note- i do move the 3 rock to a corner of the tank while net scooping so that may b why they r not opening. Not sure tho. Help please and thank you. Ooh and the lfs said it was my phosphate so could use a diferent chemical filtration. so switched my filter pad with chemi pure elite. ( just stuffed the sock of chemi pure in hob) lol smh...I belive its instant ocean salt i use to.

bertoni
02/26/2016, 07:22 PM
I might get a second opinion on the ammonia kit, if that's easy, although ammonia kits tend to fail by reading ammonia in everything, not by reading zero. The phosphate level won't affect the goby's breathing, which could be a bad sign. Are you removing the rock from the tank at any time? I would avoid that, since it sometimes triggers die-offs.

What kinds of corals are in the tank, and how long have you had them?

Boggs
02/26/2016, 09:31 PM
Do a 50% water change. Then another 2 days after.

LA ICK WARRIOR
02/27/2016, 03:12 AM
Can u explain the h20 change please. Id hate to do a drastic change like that with no info y. I have torch coral. War coral, montipora capricornia, pink tipped condy, and a few more but the names r escaping me. The corals arent attacking each other b/c they they stay separte. I dis jus buy a red sea star. Drip acclimated hime for 45 or so and he started duing a day after. Deteriorating and rotting away rapidly. It has literally 1/4 of all its legs and maybe 3/4 of 1 leg. Is he messing with everything or is it something else

LA ICK WARRIOR
02/27/2016, 02:46 PM
Oh ive had the corals for half a year minus the war coral which is a month or 2 old hasnt started encrusting. I also do not take the rocks or coral out of the water. I slide the rocks with the attached corals

bertoni
02/27/2016, 06:27 PM
I would avoid making large changes like that. Generally, they are safe, but sometimes they cause enough die-off to be a problem. A series of 15% water changes will do the job with only a bit more water used, and will be safer.