PDA

View Full Version : Koran angel not eating prepared food.

hotelbravo
02/26/2016, 11:50 PM
i asked this in another thread of mine and got only one response.. was looking for more insight.

so i got a very tiny koran angel and it is not eating any mysis, LRS fish frenzy, or other mixtures of frozen food. ive tried the seaweed on a clip with not luck and the ONLY thing i have fed him that he will eat is caulerpa from the sump but the foxface eats it to quickly and he doesnt get much if any. im running out of caulerpa in the sump. the koran does constantly pick at the rocks in the tank but i have little to no algae growth on the rocks right now.

Cancun
02/27/2016, 12:07 AM
i asked this in another thread of mine and got only one response.. was looking for more insight.

so i got a very tiny koran angel and it is not eating any mysis, LRS fish frenzy, or other mixtures of frozen food. ive tried the seaweed on a clip with not luck and the ONLY thing i have fed him that he will eat is caulerpa from the sump but the foxface eats it to quickly and he doesnt get much if any. im running out of caulerpa in the sump. the koran does constantly pick at the rocks in the tank but i have little to no algae growth on the rocks right now.

Hi there....I had a Koran in the past that I raised from about 3 inches to an adult.....he got way to agressive so I traded him in at my LFS....I fed Rods food and he loved it. You might give that brand a try. Some people suggest food or seaweed soaked in garlic.....that hasn't worked for me in the past but you might have better luck. How big is your Koran and how long have you had it? I have heard that anything smaller than 3 inches has a harder time acclimating. I would try the Rods food or even break open a clam and put it in your tank...most fish can't resist that....good luck!

hotelbravo
02/27/2016, 12:19 AM
the koran is just smaller than a quarter and ive had it for about two weeks. i have fed clam and oyster and used some of rods frozen food with no luck so far. i dont believe in using garlic to soak the food after reading several articles showing the damage garlic can do to the livers of the fish.

kmbyrnes
02/27/2016, 08:01 AM
If everything else fails, try the garlic. As long as it is not long term, you will probably be safe. And it is better than losing a fish.
I have had good luck with mussels from the store as well as the oyster and clams.
Don't give up. My little Koran angel was that size last April and she is now almost 5"!

fishfreak2009
02/27/2016, 10:31 AM
If the clams don't get them jump started then try putting him in the fuge so he can graze on his own. Do you know where he was collected? How long have you had him? Did you run him through quarantine?

carrots
02/27/2016, 05:51 PM
If it's possible, get him into a QT alone & try every kind of food that he can get in his mouth. Leave it in the tank for an hour and see what he likes. Then vacuum the uneaten food out and do a water change. Being so small maybe he was scared of the fast moving foxface. Good luck

hotelbravo
02/27/2016, 05:54 PM
he is not scared of anything in the tank i do have a jerk bi color dottyback that tried to push him around but the koran quickly put a stop to that.

hotelbravo
02/28/2016, 09:12 PM
i saw the koran eat today but not what i expected him to eat. i dont feed pellets often just when i go out of town i use an auto feeder but i was working around the tank and bumped the button on the auto feeder and it dropped a good bit of pellets in there and he ate one of the pellets and did not spit it back up.

kmbyrnes
02/29/2016, 06:51 AM
That's a good start! Keep offering pellets and mix with other stuff.

scooter31707
02/29/2016, 08:53 AM
did you quarantine? This is another reason experts suggest quarantining new fish to help get them starting to eat. IME, Korans are about the hardiest Large Angels out there. Like mentioned earlier, you should get him into a QT by himself and get him starting to eat and a little bigger. Sounds like he may be too little to compete for the food.

Dmorty217
02/29/2016, 12:33 PM
Try clam on the half shell, mussels, squid, fresh wild caught white fish.

hotelbravo
03/01/2016, 08:15 PM
He ate frozen tonight and quite a few pieces I have high hopes for him now!