PDA

View Full Version : Super glue mending rock flower anemone

butcher333
02/27/2016, 01:19 AM
I had a rock flower i purchased die from a torn foot couple of months ago. As soon as I got home I realized it had what looked like a whole and you could see its mouth though its foot. It actually lasted a week before it died though. I was amazed. Today I purchased 8 more from the same store and when I got home
i realized it had happened again. Two of them have damage to the center, bottom area of their pedal. One looks worse than the other and I took pics before I even removed it from the bag. The other I didn't notice until it attached to the side of the container. I am curious if it would be possible since Rock Flower Anemones cannot repair their foot at least not when it exposes their innards, if it would be possible to super glue the pedal area closed. Might this allow the foot to mend and eventually shed the tissue afterwards? What does everybody think? I hate being that guy who has to return to the reef store and say "You sold me a rock flower with a torn foot and NO it is not going to be fine, if I just give it some time. Anemones that split sexually and mushrooms would be fine most likely, but Rock Flowers just die. I sure wish they were better at mending themselves.It's always the best ones you pick out that get damaged.

stephenhall1987
02/27/2016, 09:27 AM
I would think that if you tried super gluing him, he'd just mucus up and the superglue would not stick.

Ron Reefman
02/28/2016, 07:46 AM
I would think that if you tried super gluing him, he'd just mucus up and the superglue would not stick.

+1

Super glue won't even stick the a healthy foot.

outy
02/29/2016, 03:39 PM
Its probably your tank conditions that they wont grow and thrive despite the damage.

I can throw an anemone in a blender and start 100 new babies that way.

A little damage should not kill them. To reproduce they simply split in half to start another brother.

flananuts
02/29/2016, 03:44 PM
Rock anenome's don't split. They do it the old fashion way. Too bad, they're really beautiful and are pretty tolerant.

butcher333
02/29/2016, 04:04 PM
Wow outy.....Seriously! Anyway, BRA replaced them. I just purchased everything attached to the particular one I actually wanted this time to prevent the foot from being torn. Rock Flower Anemones have high mortality to pedal damage. In fact. I have not even heard of a case where someone had a RFA mend a whole in it's foot. You can always see their mouth through it eventually. Even slight damage is usually fatal. I thought maybe if the whole could be closed that enough time to heal could take place.Not all reef inhabitants are the same. Just like some plants can be cut up and thrown into a glass of water and take root. While others can be dipped in hormone set in a humidifier and still rot before they ever take root. Like Wisteria.

outy
02/29/2016, 05:42 PM
Wow outy.....Seriously! .

I started with 1 rbta about 25 years ago, they are like weeds now. I lost count but here has to be close to a 100 in my 215.

I have given many away, if you were close id be giving them to you to.

outy
02/29/2016, 05:43 PM
Rock anenome's don't split. They do it the old fashion way. Too bad, they're really beautiful and are pretty tolerant.

Thank you for the correction.

Moeshi
03/07/2016, 09:13 AM
Its probably your tank conditions that they wont grow and thrive despite the damage.

I can throw an anemone in a blender and start 100 new babies that way.

A little damage should not kill them. To reproduce they simply split in half to start another brother.

Rock flowers are nothing BTA.

I recommend you doing a google search on the genus. :)