PDA

View Full Version : help with p04 in 220 gal

Lukel
02/27/2016, 08:48 AM
2 weeks ago I swapped my displays... from a 135 long to a 220...
In the 135 I kept p04 at .04 religiously. ..
Now 2 weeks after swap... I'm sitting at .14 and it won't budge...
Tank parameters...
Salinity 1.026
Alk 9 dkh
Cal 440
Mag 1440
Temp 78.5
Ph 8.2
P04 .14 ppm
Nitrate undetectable..
Still runing bio cubes...
And 500 ml of seachem phosguard. (Changed every 4 days)
And dosing 10 ml every 12 hours of nitrates (to feed the cubes since they are nitrate limited....*)

Here is a video...*
What I don't get is... sps look really happy... even though p04 is so high..*

https://youtu.be/njXa1061kQ4
I also tested my p04 tester against another test kit...

MacPhisto
02/27/2016, 09:56 AM
What skimmer do you use? More water now, so i guess you bought a larger one than you used on the 135?

Lukel
02/27/2016, 10:14 AM
Super reef octopus 3000 with bubble blaster 3000 pump... rated for 200 to 300 gallon... I still have my mrc mr4 (900 gallon rating) it's still hooked up... I could fire it up... but octopus is skimming about a quart a day of good skimmate....

dave.m
02/27/2016, 10:49 AM
Video is "Private".

Did you re-use the same substrate from your old tank? That would certainly cause the PO4 problem. You should use new sand when possible, or completely rinse out the old sand, saving only about 10-20% to re-seed the bacteria.

Also, if you re-used the same rocks they should have been thoroughly cleaned of detritus before being moved to the new tank. Your old tank may have sequestered all sorts of nasty stuff that might have gotten disturbed when moved.

It is normal after the upset of a move for water parameters to be out of sync. You are going to go through a mini cycle of new tank syndrome however you cut it. I would not panic but just let things mellow out over the course of two or three months... unless the parameters continue to get much worse. Then I would panic. :o

Dave.M

Lukel
02/27/2016, 10:59 AM
Video is "Private".

Did you re-use the same substrate from your old tank? That would certainly cause the PO4 problem. You should use new sand when possible, or completely rinse out the old sand, saving only about 10-20% to re-seed the bacteria.

Also, if you re-used the same rocks they should have been thoroughly cleaned of detritus before being moved to the new tank. Your old tank may have sequestered all sorts of nasty stuff that might have gotten disturbed when moved.

It is normal after the upset of a move for water parameters to be out of sync. You are going to go through a mini cycle of new tank syndrome however you cut it. I would not panic but just let things mellow out over the course of two or three months... unless the parameters continue to get much worse. Then I would panic. :o

Dave.M

I fixed the video... sorry for that...
I did re use tge sand... but funny story... tge sand was only 1 month old. .. that is what started the "itch" to upgrade... lol

MacPhisto
02/27/2016, 11:12 AM
Everything looks really nice, Dave.M is right i would'nt panic just measure once a week. Could be a mini cycle. Re-using your 1 month old sand is no problem.