PDA

View Full Version : Forget fish! Invert and Corals First Approach

adova
02/27/2016, 09:39 PM
I have been in the hobby for almost 10 years now and I have to say that fighting fish disease has become increasingly difficult. Perhaps it is the sheer numbers of LFS that fail to QT properly and let infected fish permeate the hobby. But, regardless, I have a plan to beat this!

Pre-cursor - after having my most recent tank (180g) established for about 1 year with 10 fish, I introduced some Turbo Snails, a Clam, and 2 Fighting Conch all within a 1 week period. Within 2 more weeks or so, all but 2 fish died. Velvet was the culprit. My own damn fault, right? Should have QT'd the new inverts.

Most inverts are not affected by diseases that affect fish, but they can propagate them to fish. This means that if you want a good chance at a pristine aquarium, all inverts should be QT'd fishless for ~75 days. That's a damn long time to wait and most people won't - at least not for their first introduction.

Then you have corals - which may have the same fish parasites and more issues with coral specific diseases. Add to that you need to maintain a frag tank with extra lights and what not. This is getting harder by the minute!

My idea - go all invert and coral first! Why not introduce your snails, corals, shrimp, clams, etc. first and let them mature. Get a beautiful SPS / Zoa tank going and add fish later after their full QT process. Spend a year or two building an awesome fishless DT. Then add some fish that you know are safe after their own QT process.

To me, this is also a huge stress reliever for the caretaker - it let's you focus on getting the tank params perfect for your corals and inverts. Adding fish then becomes "decorative". I know this will not fit the desire for most aquarist, but perhaps for some it will give you a different perspective on setting up a new tank...

Well - that's my rant!

Shawn

joshbrookkate
02/27/2016, 10:08 PM
Great idea!

whosurcaddie
02/28/2016, 01:13 AM
The tank is gonna be pretty sterile. You will need to feed your corals more often to make up for the lack of poo in the water.

Bent
02/28/2016, 01:44 AM
I honestly almost like inverts better. There's so much weirdness, makes me feel right at home.

CStrickland
02/28/2016, 01:57 AM
I think most snails only live a couple years at best. So probably better to stick with ones that will reproduce in the aquarium. Stomatellas, ceriths, and trochus have a good reputation for that. Wild hermits can live a very long time, but idk about captive ones. A happy clam is good for years and years. Some reefers still have ones you can't even buy anymore, I forget the name - giganticus?

PS sorry your fish died. That must have been a rough day <3

mgraf
02/28/2016, 07:17 AM
That is what I am currently doing at the moment, and for the same reason. I could never of imagined a reef tank without fish, but I'm doing it.

Bent
02/28/2016, 07:29 AM
Most of the fish I like aren't reef compatible anyway. If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't have made a reef tank with reef fish. I would have a single big angler, eel or something.

adova
02/28/2016, 05:29 PM
The tank is gonna be pretty sterile. You will need to feed your corals more often to make up for the lack of poo in the water.

yea - i would continue a pellet feeding through the auto feeder every 3 days or so for the snails, shrimp, etc.

adova
02/28/2016, 05:30 PM
I think most snails only live a couple years at best. So probably better to stick with ones that will reproduce in the aquarium. Stomatellas, ceriths, and trochus have a good reputation for that. Wild hermits can live a very long time, but idk about captive ones. A happy clam is good for years and years. Some reefers still have ones you can't even buy anymore, I forget the name - giganticus?

PS sorry your fish died. That must have been a rough day <3

yea - it was pretty depressing. I think that the snails would need to be re-introduced every once in a while if they were not reproducing.

Shark.Bait
02/28/2016, 05:52 PM
I ended up doing this with my 265 while my fish went through a long qt process. The only negative I experienced was a lack of nutrients.

I was feeding the tank to keep nutrients up had an explosion of large bristleworms as well. They eat all of the food that would normally go to the fish, so they're absolutely enormous and gross. Besides that its a lot easier to keep a reef without worrying about the fish IMO.

Darren B
02/28/2016, 07:39 PM
This is what I am currently doing, although I have a cleaner shrimp that needs to be fed. I do a very light feeding of Rods food twice a week for the inverts, then one dose of phyto and zooplankton weekly while the lights are out. Everything seems to be very stable and growth is good. I will introduce fish in a couple of years. maybe.......