PDA

View Full Version : new to the reef looking for info

terryscf
02/28/2016, 07:06 PM
Hello, some of this is from my intro post. i just joined the site yesterday. I am very new to saltwater/reef tanks and I am currently in the research stages and have not purchased anything yet. I have owned many freshwater tanks in the past but never did any customization from the 'kit' I would buy in the store. I know the reef tanks are not as 'easy' as the freshwater tanks and I can't/won't accept anything stock or standard.

I would like to stick to a smaller tank to start. I am not completely decided on a tank. I was originally looking at the Biocube 29 but have also started looking at the JBJ 45 and the Innovative Marine 30L and 40. I will be buying my salt water and want to start with a smallish tank to be able to make sure I can handle tank changes and water evaporations before getting into starting my own water mixtures. I am really nervous to work with tanks that will require me to use PVC piping and running things around my house. I would like to keep a 'tight' unit around my tank/stand. I have a bunch of dogs and cats and would like to make sure nobody get's hurt.

I would really appreciate advice about equipment. At the moment I am wanting to stick under $1000 to get what I would need to start a good tank. The cost above is for equipment after deciding on whatever tank I get. There is so much information out there about filtration systems, skimmers, ATO and live rock vs dry rock I'm just not sure where to all begin. I have decided that no matter what I am probably going to use the AI Prime lights. Not sure if I'll need two based on the size of my tank and I will use the Ecotech MP10QD pump. I really like the things that can be monitored with apps. I'm very techie and like that there are items that incorporate that in. I am open to suggestions on other tanks and setups.

I'm sorry if I'm posting too many times/places but I am really excited about this process. I have been reading a bunch of books, online site and watching a lot of youtube videos. I may even document this process myself on youtube. Thank you for any assistance anyone can give.