PDA

View Full Version : I think I am officially done with my Profilux!

Anim8me2
02/29/2016, 12:37 AM
After setting up a computer with Windows 7, getting all the updates installed, downloading the latest Control Center, making sure all the drivers work properly and getting all the proper connects online I tried to do a firmware upgrade so I can get my Profi on the web software.
I can not, after repeated attempts to update the firmware get this thing to work.
I get an error code 8 and the download/update just stops.
I have tried going from 6.15 (my current version) to 6.18 all the way up to 6.22 but nothing works.

It's ridiculous. I have a controller from a "competitor" on my daughters tank and that update was a breeze and I didn't need a PC to do it.

I am trying to get my new build in order to add water and this is one of the final steps and I am getting very frustrated. I always tell people what a better system the Profilux is but I'm tired of this. Firmware updates should be a no brainer at this point.

Seriously guys, this is crazy!

billbunton
02/29/2016, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. In fact, my Profilux is gone (replaced by the "competitor").

Same problem with the Mitras lights, though once I got all the right drivers installed I did manage to update the Mitras firmware. It just took _many_ hours to get the right drivers collected and installed. They'll be up for sale in the next week or two.

Anim8me2
02/29/2016, 09:21 AM
I was finally able to get the firmware to update.
It took a factory reset before any success.
GHL please step up your software game. It should not be this difficult.

Halfmoon61
02/29/2016, 10:08 AM
Agreed! The only way I've ever had a successful firmware upgrade was with the flash tool.

SPotter
02/29/2016, 12:26 PM
this is why I have not done a firmware upgrade since purchasing mine over a year ago. given the little to no changes that I make on mine I don't see the need to upgrade the firmware. I don't need the added stress of potentially having to do a factory reset.

Jerel
02/29/2016, 07:38 PM
Flashing firmwares to my ProfiLux and Doser 2 have been solid ever since the initial setup, never missed an update. I've always wondered where the problems start for others.

Apple Bootcamp, Windows 7 & 10.

JaySchulz
02/29/2016, 07:51 PM
It's scary to read this kind of stuff. I bought a Profilux instead of the "competitor" many months ago for the build I'm working on because I read how so many experienced reefers said that it was a superior unit.

d2mini
03/01/2016, 08:52 AM
Several times I've forgotten to look for the message on the profilux where you have to click YES because I'm so focused on my laptop, and then that screws it all up. And a couple times I got an error in the middle of the update, requiring me to use the flash tool to get back up and running and then re-upload my last set of saved settings. Always remember to download your current settings before attempting firmware updates. Previoulsy I was running parallels and I've come to teh conclusion that parallels suck. I now have bootcamp running windows 8 and it's amazing how much faster/more stable it is. I have not attempted a firmware update since though.
But yes, I agree... overall it can be a bit of a frustrating process.

billbunton
03/01/2016, 08:58 AM
And honestly, it's not just the firmware update issues that's causing my departure from GHL. On the Profilux, it was the firmware update issues plus the unavailability of things I needed. I recently set up a new 90g, and was controlling some stuff from the profilux, waiting for the expansion chassis and a couple extra items to become available. Though I see the expansion chassis is now available (or at least was, last time I looked out of curiosity), I ran out of waiting time and simply bought the competitor to control that tank. That reminded me of things I liked about them, and combined with the firmware update problems prompted me to totally replace the Profilux.

On the Mitras lamps, it's not just the firmware update either. Having to (now) run a long USB cable every time I want to make a change is a hassle, plus I need more light now. Replacing the Mitras units is going to be cheaper in the long run than buying a couple more of them.

Speed
03/01/2016, 08:21 PM
It's scary to read this kind of stuff. I bought a Profilux instead of the "competitor" many months ago for the build I'm working on because I read how so many experienced reefers said that it was a superior unit.

I'm in the exact same boat. between this thread and D2mini's display thread there is most likely going to be a brand new in box Profilux Ultimate pack in the for sale forum.

d2mini
03/01/2016, 10:05 PM
I'm in the exact same boat. between this thread and D2mini's display thread there is most likely going to be a brand new in box Profilux Ultimate pack in the for sale forum.

Remember though, this dimming screen was my only problem since buying it in 2012. I've seen plenty of catastrophic apex failures. Screen issues are the only hardware problems I've seen with ghl (and it's not hurting anything), and I've only seen very minor issues related to software/firmware. Imo, ghl's biggest hurdle has always been parts availability and customer service issues. But their hardware and engineering is second to none. As much as I've been completely frustrated with the customer service through all 4 years, this had to be said.

Speed
03/02/2016, 12:39 AM
Thanks Dennis.

Coming from the service industry (I'm a field service engineer) I have very low tolerance for lack of customer support and parts availability. Customer support is the Achilles tendon of any company, it doesn't matter how great of a product they have. If that tendon is cut....they will fall.

I have read far too many threads here from frustrated people.
This has been an issue with GHL for as long as I've been familiar with them. (which is around the time you bought yours)

doggydoc
03/02/2016, 02:03 PM
Remember though, this dimming screen was my only problem since buying it in 2012. I've seen plenty of catastrophic apex failures. Screen issues are the only hardware problems I've seen with ghl (and it's not hurting anything), and I've only seen very minor issues related to software/firmware. Imo, ghl's biggest hurdle has always been parts availability and customer service issues. But their hardware and engineering is second to none. As much as I've been completely frustrated with the customer service through all 4 years, this had to be said.

Agree 100 %

GazzMan
03/03/2016, 02:04 AM
Agree on this as well, you buy a rolls Royce, you should get the back up the purchase deserves, for the money we have spent on these products the support is horrendous to be honest, and with a product that comes without any hard instructions or how toos the support needs to up its game big time.

All this in its self, causes frustration on a big scale, this sometimes gets transmitted to the "help" forum, you say the wrong thing and get banned from the site, if you not getting the help you are looking for, what the heck can you do, you have to carry on using a product you're no getting the potential from because you don't know how.

doggydoc
03/03/2016, 07:30 AM
Agree on this as well, you buy a rolls Royce, you should get the back up the purchase deserves, for the money we have spent on these products the support is horrendous to be honest, and with a product that comes without any hard instructions or how toos the support needs to up its game big time.

All this in its self, causes frustration on a big scale, this sometimes gets transmitted to the "help" forum, you say the wrong thing and get banned from the site, if you not getting the help you are looking for, what the heck can you do, you have to carry on using a product you're no getting the potential from because you don't know how.

My feelings exactly.

Give you my latest frustration.
And DONT GET ME WRONG, I love my Profilux stuff. Not sure I would exchange for any of the competitor products. And I DO REC PROFILUX to anyone as my first choice for controller.

Been having an issue with conductivity measurements for the past year or so.

Put it on the back burner since I know my tank measures 53 always.
Maybe +/- .5 in daily changes.
I have MEDICAL GRADE back up measuring equipment for spot on measurements and I trust it 100%.

Last couple of months I have grown tired of the abnormal values. Ended up buying a new GHL lab grade probe-$$$- to replace my probe that was 2 yrs old and problem still persisted.
Fluctuated daily from 53.5 down to 49.8. Too big of a change for my liking.

Set up a new probe. Calibrated properly and maybe a week into it, SAME THING.
Did speak to Vinny from GHL. He did point out several causes for failure of probe. I knew I didn't have stray voltage. All my equipment is grounded properly set up by a licensed electrician.
But still I spent 3 hours plugging and unplugging each electrical connection to measure with a voltmeter to rule out current issues. ALL NORMAL.

NOW here comes my frustration. And to make it clear it doesn't have anything to do with product or customer service but with PROPER INSTRUCTIONS. Ended up being an issue with probe placement. I was getting micro bubbles stuck under the probe giving me daily readings. Once I shook the probe in the water readings went back to normal. Now the only way I found about it was reading a competitors blog and sure enough in of was there.
I ended up putting the probe in another more "quiet" area of the sump...problem solved.

Here is my issue. I wish someone from GHL would have told me 1 year ago
Read the manual or the instructions for conduc probe.
Micro bubbles will be a problem and will cause lower readings once the air bubble catches under the probe.

I had to find out the hard way and had to "not trust" my abnormal readings for over a year. I know GHL pointed out several issues including stray current and micro bubbles, but that was this time around.
I have been dealing with this for 2 years!!!!!!!
Frustrated

And to make matters worse, I can't post on the GHL forum because when I do express my PERSONAL OPINION, I get banned!!

GazzMan
03/03/2016, 01:32 PM
Yep I had a ban also mate for venting my frustrations, I'm even nervous to push too hard for answers now (my salinity ato thread) so I tend to mooch along without implementing what I want to do, unless I can find it somewhere else and copy it to my system.

How wrong is that, I'm 56 years old and scared of a bloody forum lmao how sad.

doggydoc
03/03/2016, 01:42 PM
Lol
I am on the same boat!!!!!

Antipodes
03/03/2016, 06:01 PM
Lol
I am on the same boat!!!!!
And I thought I was unique.
The ban is one of the reasons I don't post anymore, don't even go to the GHL forum so don't know what is happening there at all.
Don't like being outcast for trying to get some improvements and helping other users, including promoting their products to those that would listen.
Definitely moving to another system when I finally get our house repairs sorted out.
(I guess this will get me banned again)

Diesel3443
03/03/2016, 07:22 PM
Terrible. I hate hearing this, esp since I have only had the system a couple months. Well at least I got a good deal

Mark426
03/03/2016, 08:00 PM
My Mitras LED hardware is awsome. ..the software is awful.

Antipodes
03/03/2016, 08:10 PM
Terrible. I hate hearing this, esp since I have only had the system a couple months. Well at least I got a good deal
You will be fine.
System works OK as basic.
I would tell you what parts to stay away from, but I don't want to get abused again.
Mine is still going after 5 years and multiple earthquakes, hardware is great!
But functionality and programming for me is lacking! (Saying no more)

doggydoc
03/04/2016, 06:31 AM

I am NOT bashing GHL. I wouldn't change it for anything. Happy with the hardware and the way it works.
I only wish customer service was better.

doggydoc
03/04/2016, 06:32 AM
I would rec ANYONE looking for a controller--- GHL
Learning curve is steep but well worth it!

SPotter
03/04/2016, 06:47 AM
I feel like GHL is the Trump of controllers.....love to boast how great they are but don't ask any questions about how to use it.

SPotter
03/04/2016, 06:59 AM
since we have attracted a lot of seasoned GHL users here, I have a programming question that I have not been able to find the answer to on my own. Is there a way to create a program that turns off a pump if my water temps drops below a certain level?

Diesel3443
03/04/2016, 09:03 AM
I feel like GHL is the Trump of controllers.....love to boast how great they are but don't ask any questions about how to use it.

Lol

doggydoc
03/04/2016, 09:14 AM
since we have attracted a lot of seasoned GHL users here, I have a programming question that I have not been able to find the answer to on my own. Is there a way to create a program that turns off a pump if my water temps drops below a certain level?

I believe there is. Let me get home tonight and I will look for it.
But off he top of my head I honk temperature increase you can use to turn off pump assigned t that socket

GazzMan
03/04/2016, 10:25 AM
I am NOT bashing GHL. I wouldn't change it for anything. Happy with the hardware and the way it works.
I only wish customer service was better.

Big +1, like I said earlier, it's the rolls Royce of controllers by a country mile.

SPotter
03/04/2016, 10:34 AM
I believe there is. Let me get home tonight and I will look for it.
But off he top of my head I honk temperature increase you can use to turn off pump assigned t that socket

Great! I don't like the hysteris control for chiller operation....unless I am doing it wrong...I mean I did follow the instructions in the owners manual :lol:

I find that my chiller turns on and off too much during the summer months and afraid that's not good for the chiller. I want to just rely on the temp control on the chiller but use turning the feed pump for my chiller as the fail safe so that if the temperature drops too low the feed pump turns off. My chiller shuts down if there is no water flowing it.

d2mini
03/04/2016, 11:19 AM
Great! I don't like the hysteris control for chiller operation....unless I am doing it wrong...I mean I did follow the instructions in the owners manual :lol:

I find that my chiller turns on and off too much during the summer months and afraid that's not good for the chiller. I want to just rely on the temp control on the chiller but use turning the feed pump for my chiller as the fail safe so that if the temperature drops too low the feed pump turns off. My chiller shuts down if there is no water flowing it.

FWIW, my chiller feed pump just ran 24/7. You don't want stagnant water sitting in the chiller, it gets nasty fast. And how much heat is the pump really adding to the water? IMHO, if heat is an issue, cut the lights. That's where most of the heat is coming from.

SPotter
03/04/2016, 11:27 AM
FWIW, my chiller feed pump just ran 24/7. You don't want stagnant water sitting in the chiller, it gets nasty fast. And how much heat is the pump really adding to the water? IMHO, if heat is an issue, cut the lights. That's where most of the heat is coming from.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I run my feed pump 24/7 too. I just want the chiller to control the water temps and not be plugged into the ghl. What I want is the pump to turn off if the controller on the chiller should fail and not turn off when the desired temp is reached. If the tank temp drops below a certain temp I want the pump to turn off.

Anim8me2
03/08/2016, 03:52 PM
So since I started this and there has been a lot of action here...
I did finally manage to update the firmware on both my Profilux and the Doser2 (I haven't touched the Mitras yet).
It took using the flash tool and opening the Doser to get it done, but I want to make its clear, I still find the Profilux to be far and away the better controller. The only real issue I have is software support being behind the times.
Firmware should be ridiculously simple to install and there is a real problem with the instructions offered for things like setting up the new MyGHL system.

For now I will keep the Profi but I have that "other" unit on standby.

Halfmoon61
03/08/2016, 08:14 PM
I won't run to the competitor, not a fan of the modular system. Regular firmware upgrades are a plus IMO, they install fine if I use the flash tool, I won't attempt another way anymore. It would be nice if program logic questions would get answered, for me it's trial and error but, once programmed the Profilux is rock solid, running mine for four years with out problems.

doggydoc
03/08/2016, 09:47 PM
I won't run to the competitor, not a fan of the modular system. Regular firmware upgrades are a plus IMO, they install fine if I use the flash tool, I won't attempt another way anymore. It would be nice if program logic questions would get answered, for me it's trial and error but, once programmed the Profilux is rock solid, running mine for four years with out problems.

Agree 100%

GazzMan
03/09/2016, 03:45 AM
i won't run to the competitor, not a fan of the modular system. Regular firmware upgrades are a plus imo, they install fine if i use the flash tool, i won't attempt another way anymore. It would be nice if program logic questions would get answered, for me it's trial and error but, once programmed the profilux is rock solid, running mine for four years with out problems.

+ 2

Diesel3443
03/09/2016, 09:34 AM

This is exactly why I sought out the profilux. Glad everyone is still on board. Just seems like customer service needs to be taken up a notch

billbunton
03/09/2016, 09:43 AM
I did go back to the competitor. I agree the profilux hardware is the best -- if you can get it. I know patience is a virtue, but if it takes this long to buy new, what's going to happen if something does break?

And frankly, while their hardware is the best, their software (including, but not limited to, firmware updates) really doesn't impress me. Gcc is an arcane rats nest of little gotchas. Does anyone actually use MyGHL? Aside from all that's missing (understandable because of how new it is), the few times I tried it I not only found the interface largely incomprehensible, but it was so slow it was unusable.

unze
03/10/2016, 01:14 PM
good to read stuff like this as i thought i was the only one that had issues with GHL.
Does anyone actually even go to the ghl support site anymore, every time i go over there is no new posts or very few.

Big +1, like I said earlier, it's the rolls Royce of controllers by a country mile
I don't think so, i also have a apex and both are very similar , the apex has never had any issues.
Would say the Apex software is ahead of GHL.

GazzMan
03/10/2016, 04:35 PM
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?779502-Everything-is-dead-(or-nearly-dead)&highlight=Jeremy

I was talking about the controller, not the software, iv never herd of anything like this happening with the profilux.

The above link is just one of three hardware failures iv read this week for the apex

d2mini
03/11/2016, 09:03 AM
Yep, i've heard of way too many catastrophic Apex failures both on here and locally to trust them. Is it just because the market is saturated with Apex so you are bound to hear of more problems? Possibly, but when I searched I could never find anything like that with Profilux, which is why I bought it and stick with it.

doggydoc
03/12/2016, 05:57 AM
In 6 years I have had GHL products
Once you get passed the installation and programming it is BY FAR the best BRAINS of the industry.

chadfarmer
03/12/2016, 07:09 AM
Mine has been rock solid and never did the update everytime a new one comes out. I'm out of the hobby and this profilux everyone is scared to buy. Funny I spent a tin and can't sell for 400. If it was an apex I could have sold it asap.

d2mini
03/12/2016, 12:03 PM
Mine has been rock solid and never did the update everytime a new one comes out. I'm out of the hobby and this profilux everyone is scared to buy. Funny I spent a tin and can't sell for 400. If it was an apex I could have sold it asap.

Because people are idiots and automatically assume Apex is the best because it's so popular. So many people don't even know about GHL. You need to find someone who actually understands the differences between the two systems. They also are under the false assumption that GHL is much more expensive. The problem is they are not comparing apples to apples equipment wise.

Anim8me2
03/12/2016, 08:46 PM
Agreed.
I would still say they are better and cost is either the same or better when you take into account what you are getting.
I really just wish they would get serious about fixing software issues.

AQD_ottawa
03/15/2016, 08:45 AM
GHL's biggest issue is marketing always has been I fear always will be, I thought with centralized control from my days this would change but its still a totally unknown breed in the USA and GHL curious why sales are so low!

I have to say I am enjoying my retirement from the Distribution side the retail website is a nice way of keeping in touch and I know any support issues are not Vinnies his hands are maybe tied to what central GHL wish to be done or how.

I am just about to put a ProfiLux on my new office tank build, bit nervous about finding my way round the new software. I have no interest in APPS etc so wont need to have to worry about that headache.

chadfarmer
03/19/2016, 03:00 PM
I can't believe they even still sell these. I payed way over 2k for the setup and getting offers of 310.00. Don't get me wrong it worked fine for 4 years but these don't hold any value. A profilux 3ex and a 2 with power bars not pad came out after I bought mine.

AQD_ottawa
03/19/2016, 03:59 PM
I can't believe they even still sell these. I payed way over 2k for the setup and getting offers of 310.00. Don't get me wrong it worked fine for 4 years but these don't hold any value. A profilux 3ex and a 2 with power bars not pad came out after I bought mine.

No disrespect but what electonics item does hold its value? My Samsung 40" 4 years ago cost me $2k i just sold it second hand for $125! And for an aquarium controller to run and continue to run after 4 years is quite a testimant to the quality.

When i bought my Audi A7 2014 shortly after the 2015 came out with more features, its called evolution, you can sit back and never buy and watch technology move forward or buy and enjoy the technology at THAT time. Cant complain to the manufacturer for progress.

chadfarmer
03/19/2016, 07:06 PM
Not complaining just not worth the price. I didn't think I was going to get a ton of money figured would be worth more but with no following what do I expect.

AQD_ottawa
03/19/2016, 07:18 PM
$350 for 4 year old electronics that has been around a salty climate is a good price. Just because a product has a low resale value does not make it a bad product, if i sold my A7 now i would lose over $60k from its purchase price, but that does not make it a bad product :-))

doggydoc
03/19/2016, 09:06 PM
$350 for 4 year old electronics that has been around a salty climate is a good price. Just because a product has a low resale value does not make it a bad product, if i sold my a7 now i would lose over $60k from its purchase price, but that does not make it a bad product :-))

+1

claynelson
03/20/2016, 11:04 AM
$350 for 4 year old electronics that has been around a salty climate is a good price. Just because a product has a low resale value does not make it a bad product, if i sold my A7 now i would lose over $60k from its purchase price, but that does not make it a bad product :-))

+2 electronic have a 2-3 year life span from the manufacture i do electronics repair and service on the side and if your stuff lasts 2 years be happy. its todays mentality of replace instead of repair.

ive run ghl for a long time and just used to the issues they have and deal with it. no matter what controller you have there will always be something you dont like about it.

d2mini
03/20/2016, 04:29 PM
LOL, exactly. 2014 A4 Prestige here. 49k miles and I don't even want to know what it would be worth today. But I don't care because it's an awesome car. ;)

+2 electronic have a 2-3 year life span from the manufacture i do electronics repair and service on the side and if your stuff lasts 2 years be happy. its todays mentality of replace instead of repair.

ive run ghl for a long time and just used to the issues they have and deal with it. no matter what controller you have there will always be something you dont like about it.
Yep, I'd much rather have to replace a dim screen than have a frozen main unit that crashes my tank.

AQD_ottawa
03/21/2016, 11:17 AM
Here is my 2 cents and as now retailing not distributing can see the other side of the coin.

The issues are and always were

1. Zero marketing (When we distributed our hands were tied and seems this has not changed)
2. Zero user manual that reflects any reference to the Software which accounts for 99% of the bad feedback and perception of the product
3. Perception what works in the European market will work here.
4. Lack of attention to the needs of the USA market prime example no fittings made for the flow sensors to work in the USA.

The product is rock solid, without doubt the most stable system out there and longevity is without question, but if GHL want this product to move forward in this market they HAVE to address the above issues.

Vinny is doing an awesome job at support with the means he has available, but I am quite sure he has the exact same struggles I had. Until GHL recognize the issues above it will be a niche product within a saturated market, and for such a strong product with a huge reputation in terms of quality, things could be a whole lot better.

Hobbyists should invest in GHL as they will get the return in productivity, but making people aware the product exists in the first place is the first hurdle. If you dont know it exists how can you buy it? The odd hobby show has a very limited captive audience, you need perpetual marketing strategies, and then sort out a software manual or online built in tutorial.

I am very pleased to see users here standing up for the product this is great news as it shows not all is lost and people are willing to see through the non hardware related issues. Its for GHL to change the direction of the controllers perception though, lets hope they listen.

In my opinion if you want a rock solid controller that will last years, GHL is STILL your best option.

GazzMan
03/21/2016, 01:05 PM
Here is my 2 cents and as now retailing not distributing can see the other side of the coin.

1. Zero marketing (When we distributed our hands were tied and seems this has not changed)
2. Zero user manual that reflects any reference to the Software which accounts for 99% of the bad feedback and perception of the product
4. Lack of attention to the needs of the USA market prime example no fittings made for the flow sensors to work in the USA.

The product is rock solid, without doubt the most stable system out there and longevity is without question, but if GHL want this product to move forward in this market they HAVE to address the above issues.

Vinny is doing an awesome job at support with the means he has available, but I am quite sure he has the exact same struggles I had. Until GHL recognize the issues above it will be a niche product within a saturated market, and for such a strong product with a huge reputation in terms of quality, things could be a whole lot better.

Hobbyists should invest in GHL as they will get the return in productivity, but making people aware the product exists in the first place is the first hurdle. If you dont know it exists how can you buy it? The odd hobby show has a very limited captive audience, you need perpetual marketing strategies, and then sort out a software manual or online built in tutorial.

I am very pleased to see users here standing up for the product this is great news as it shows not all is lost and people are willing to see through the non hardware related issues. Its for GHL to change the direction of the controllers perception though, lets hope they listen.

In my opinion if you want a rock solid controller that will last years, GHL is STILL your best option.

That is an awsome post, you have hit the nail bang on the head, nobody could agree more :twitch:

doggydoc
03/21/2016, 08:02 PM

Very well said Michael

AQD_ottawa
03/22/2016, 07:42 AM
The problems are very simple to resolve and none of them have anything to do with the quality of the product or stop a client from buying the brand as it is proven to be so darn reliable and functional.

Sort out marketing so people know you exist
Give those users a manual that relates to the software
And probably the most important and where I banged my head so hard against... "UNDERSTAND that North American user expectations are different to what is seen as normal in Europe" One size really does not fit all here.

Sort that out and ProfiLux would fly off the shelves.

Anyway said enough you get the point ;)

Macuser1
03/22/2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your candor Michael. I am a Profllux & Mitras user (although i purchased them 2nd hand) and they have been rock solid...but to be honest I haven't upgraded them to the latest and greatest firmware because I'm petrified of running into a problem and then having to spend hours trying to get it working again (which I know I will). I would rather just enjoy my acquarium rather than fight with another piece of computer hardware.
I'm in adver/marketing myself and agree with you..it's all about communication...and by the way you were excellent at it when you managed the brand-many thanks

unze
03/25/2016, 02:45 PM
GHL's biggest issue is marketing
I think too much marketing and words is the issue with GHL , they need better software updates and improvements.

AQD_ottawa
03/25/2016, 02:48 PM
I think too much marketing and words is the issue with GHL

How I wish this was true ;( Thats just a dream for us trying to sell the product!

unze
03/25/2016, 03:10 PM
Word of mouth marketing is far cheaper & would be greatly improved if improvements in software was made.

I see some of these improvements have been asked for in 2014 & still waiting

Label the lever sensor

Send SMS with error Level,
Identify which level sensor is being triggered. ie leakage, sump, overflow, low flow,

option to limit the amount of emails sent when alarm trigged

I found the Profilux to be very stable & the Ph APP is excellent , however its very limited and has never been updated.

Matthias Gross
04/03/2016, 02:56 AM
I think it is time to comment some of these things

1. customer support
I think the picture drawn about GHL resp. the customer service from some is not right.
Please consider that GHL has several tenthousands of Mitras, ProfiLux and Dosers out there and compare the amount of "complaints" to that.
Of course, every single complaint is one too much, but as we all know it is not possible to satisfy everyone.
GHL Europe and GHL USA reply to EVERY customer email, in most cases in 1-2 business days. If someone can prove that GHL denied to give support then let me know, contact me personally, please.
We have a huge support forum.
We redesigned the entire website. Created a new download center. Added FAQs and How-Tos.
Maybe check out the new website: https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/
We have a service center in the USA. Repairs and upgrades are made in max. 2 days for stock items.
So I am not sure if the criticism is still justified in all areas, maybe some opinions about the GHL support are just a bit outdated.
And yes, I must admit that we had to ban some people in the past in our forum when it becomes too subjective or the tone gets too rude. The forum is there to help, and constructive cricism is welcome, but there is no room for campaigns against GHL, the products or even their staff.

2. firmware updates
Again, several tenthousands of products out there. The majority has no issues, at least we don't read much about it. We have so many customers doing nearly every update - without problems.
Most problems come from USB drivers (example: the last Windows 10 update was a nightmare, they overwrote the WORKING USB drivers - but GHL is blamed for that) or just not following the instuctions (example: for security reasons the update must be confirmed on the device). Another problem is caused by Parallels, not all USB drivers work there. So we recommend to use Bootcamp which fixes this.

If someone has a problem (firmware update or anything else): Get support in our support forum or contact us by email. I don't know what we can offer more.

3. myGHL
I am not sure when you looked the last time into it. I think we have a lot of features and the usability is quite good meanwhile. Stability and performance was also massively increased. When I compare with the cloud solutions of the competition I can't see that myGHL is slower or harder to use, in my opinion the opposite is the case.
I recommed to try it right now: https://www.myghl.com/
(I will write further information about myGHL in another post)

4. Software/Firmware updates
I wonder why some say there would be no development.
We had about 40 firmware updates for our products in the last 12 months.
GHL Control Center has features the competition can only dream of.
Of course we can't implement ALL customer wishes at once, but we permanently work on it.
For example, we redesigned the entire dosing section, have new lighting and simulation functions, not to mention all the myGHL stuff.

AQD_ottawa
04/03/2016, 05:40 AM
Many thanks for your reply matthias.

If you read the thread it really has not a lot to do with the things you kindly list. Nobody is knocking the brand or hardware we all know its probably the most reliable unit out there, but for people firstly to know its out there it needs advertising and then at minimum a quick software set up guide. Just those two things will have a huge impact on the USA market.

We have all agreed there is no issue with the hardware, we have all agreed its a great product. I have personally stated Vinny does the best he can with support.

The product sales are due to no marketing that we as retailers see anyway
The lack of any functional manual relating to the software is a big negative. Even i am employing Gareth to set up my new system as i dont have time to "guess"
The firmware updating is still without doubt the products blind boil'
Service - having to send a controller back to Germany.
understanding USA market differences , example supplying the right USA fittings for your USA clients to install flow sensors. If you want a USA market you need to support that also.
profiLux touch pretty much forgotten about.
Does the doser 2 now support PAB products after over 2 years?

As i said we all know the product hardware is first class and local support has never been questioned ever over the years, its just about sorting out the basic things that hold back GHL success in the USA and they are not hard things to achieve.

Its great to see you getting involved and listening to constructive feedback as we all want the brand to grow in the USA

Matthias Gross
04/03/2016, 06:59 AM
Service - having to send a controller back to Germany.
Only in very special cases when a repair can only be done by experts (e.g. soldering chips).
Standard repairs are done in the US service center.
Other companies handle this quite easy: They just don't repair if it gets too complicated.

And besides this - this public forum is not the platform to discuss marketing strategies.

Matthias Gross
04/03/2016, 07:28 AM
I see some of these improvements have been asked for in 2014 & still waiting

Label the lever sensor

Send SMS with error Level,
Identify which level sensor is being triggered. ie leakage, sump, overflow, low flow,

option to limit the amount of emails sent when alarm trigged

- level sensors (or better the level control which uses the level sensor) can be labelled
- you can set how and when an email should be sent (cyclic every x minutes, at a certaim time, when alarm comes or goes ...) - so it is already possible to limit the amount of emails
- SMS and level - I just checked, the state of the level sensors is included in a sent SMS

What am I missing here?

You are very welcome if you want to further discuss (missing) features, but I recommend that we open a new thread, this thread here is already too mixed up in my opinion.

SPotter
04/03/2016, 07:32 AM
- level sensors (or better the level control which uses the level sensor) can be labelled
- you can set how and when an email should be sent (cyclic every x minutes, at a certaim time, when alarm comes or goes ...) - so it is already possible to limit the amount of emails
- SMS and level - I just checked, the state of the level sensors is included in a sent SMS

What am I missing here?

What you're missing is that it's impossible to to get help on how to exactly do these things and what's not missing is your cavalier attitude about your product. We get that's there's thousands of people that own your product.....it doesn't mean that some still have problems with your product. I posted about the graphs on my touch pad not logging correctly...I was told someone would look into and never had a response after that. That's almost 6 months ago!

Matthias Gross
04/03/2016, 08:48 AM
it doesn't mean that some still have problems with your product.
You are absolutely right. if there are questions then please contact us, either in the forum or by email, we are glad to help.
And yes, it is possible that something is overread by us (we have 6000 users in the forum with nearly 63000 posts), and yes, we also make mistakes. Or sometimes there is just no solution for a certain support issue at the time the question comes up.

In regards to the Touch graph issue.
We found a solution a few months ago and we posted it in the forum. It seems we didn't post it in every relating thread, please excuse.
The display manufacturer made a design change without informing us, this ended in problems to store data in the flash memory. We fixed it by adapting the display firmware, this update cures the problem. Please contact us directly in order toget this fixed. Thank you.

To
What you're missing is that it's impossible to to get help on how to exactly do these things
Why not? If there is a concrete question please ask it, preferably in our support forum. I am sure my support team will answer it. If it is overseen - send us an email.

SPotter
04/03/2016, 10:34 AM
Wow.....the banning continues!!!! Mathias you better wake up before you drive your product into the ground!

Matthias Gross
04/03/2016, 11:21 AM
Wow.....the banning continues!!!! Mathias you better wake up before you drive your product into the ground!

I have no idea what you are talking about or how you mean this. If you are a member of the GHL support forum who has been banned in the past and you think it is not justified then please contact me personally. I can't know who of them you are.

To give some numbers and avoid another wrong impression:
We have 6000 users in our forum. Since we started our forum 8 years ago we had exactly 6 users banned. Banning someone is the very last step.

If you were talking about banning in general, then yes, this is something unfortunately forum owners are forced to do from time to time, you'll see this in most of the other forums (here, Ultimate Reef, etc.), too.

Edit: Meanwhile I found you with your email-address in our forum, you had never a warning or were even banned, so I guess you were talking about banning in general.

Matthias Gross
04/03/2016, 11:30 AM
So, this thread has more than 3000 views today and is more popular than most of the other topics.

I think I read and understood what has been said and I said what I can say.

I leave now this discussion, of course I will continue to monitor the GHL part of RC and give replies I someone has questions or needs support.

Anim8me2
04/04/2016, 05:36 AM
Thanks for responding Matthias.
I started the thread and while the title was probably a result of my frustrations at the time and I did in fact resolve my problems, they simply hi-lighted the complexities of the upgrade path/procedures.
This is not to say they are impossible, but if I (as someone with a background in computers and programming) has issues then I am sure others with less experience might be even more frustrated.
As Mike said, we still think GHL makes a superior product and when asked I still recommend you over the competition . However you have to look at our position, the competition does a better job at disseminating information ( it's not enough to say " we posted in our forum") both via social media and direct emails. To date the only emails I have received from GHL have been marketing emails. I have a touch screen and while I have not experienced the problem with graphs it would have been great to get an email explaining the issue and telling me there was a fix for it.
I guess it's just a matter of style, but the other guys do a better job at this and as a pretty loyal GHL customer (Profilux3, 4 powerbars, 2 dosers, 4 Mitras 6200 ) I want you to understand that we as customers WANT you to succeed. We want GHL to grow and become a bigger deal in the market. So word of people being banned for anything short of outright foul language or defamatory statements makes us sit up and take notice.
No one wants GHL to quit (despite the thread title I am not giving up on GHL products) but it would be great to know that our suggestions, questions and criticisms are being listened to and responded to everywhere and not just in the official forum.
Thanks again for responding!

doggydoc
04/04/2016, 05:45 AM
thanks for responding matthias.
I started the thread and while the title was probably a result of my frustrations at the time and i did in fact resolve my problems, they simply hi-lighted the complexities of the upgrade path/procedures.
This is not to say they are impossible, but if i (as someone with a background in computers and programming) has issues then i am sure others with less experience might be even more frustrated.
As mike said, we still think ghl makes a superior product and when asked i still recommend you over the competition . However you have to look at our position, the competition does a better job at disseminating information ( it's not enough to say " we posted in our forum") both via social media and direct emails. To date the only emails i have received from ghl have been marketing emails. I have a touch screen and while i have not experienced the problem with graphs it would have been great to get an email explaining the issue and telling me there was a fix for it.
I guess it's just a matter of style, but the other guys do a better job at this and as a pretty loyal ghl customer (profilux3, 4 powerbars, 2 dosers, 4 mitras 6200 ) i want you to understand that we as customers want you to succeed. We want ghl to grow and become a bigger deal in the market. So word of people being banned for anything short of outright foul language or defamatory statements makes us sit up and take notice.
No one wants ghl to quit (despite the thread title i am not giving up on ghl products) but it would be great to know that our suggestions, questions and criticisms are being listened to and responded to everywhere and not just in the official forum.

+1

Matthias Gross
04/04/2016, 11:35 AM
Thanks to all, your ongoing loyality and support is very encouraging.
As said I heard you and there is always room to improve ... we are working on it.

Antipodes
04/04/2016, 02:15 PM
Thanks for responding Matthias.
No one wants GHL to quit (despite the thread title I am not giving up on GHL products) but it would be great to know that our suggestions, questions and criticisms are being listened to and responded to everywhere and not just in the official forum.

Quote clipped for shortness.

But very well said Anim8me!