PDA

View Full Version : Would a water softener cartrage help in my situation?

DougL
02/29/2016, 01:31 PM
I am doing the research to re-start my reef.

I am going to purchase one of the Spectrapure RO/DI units.
My community has 6 to 8 grain hardness (Lake Michigan) water with Chlorine treatment.
I was wondering if I would get any benefit from placing a water softener canister in front of the RO to extend membrane life.

If its a benefit, here are my questions.
1. Is the cation resin the same as used in the DI, or is there a grade specifically for sodium or potassium ions?
2. Would there be any advantage to using potassium in terms of RO rejection?
3. What size canister would you recommend?
4. Any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Doug

SpectraPure
03/02/2016, 10:17 PM
A water softener cartridge will only last 20 gallons or so. It is not ideal. It is not the same cation as used in our DI resins. Unfortunately a water softener that can regenerate the resin is realistically the only way to help the membrane out. Also if your water source is already soft then there would be no need.

Jeremy

DougL
03/04/2016, 11:55 AM
Thank you for your response.
It sounds like a bigger project than I was expecting.

The information is appreciated.

Doug

SpectraPure
03/04/2016, 07:37 PM
If you get a system with a flush valve, and you happen to have high pressure, or even get a booster pump you will be ok. A water softener is not needed, but it does help reduce the waste. With adequate pressure and flushing your membrane before and after you make water for one minute will help the longevity. Water softener is kind of like a bonus, and not a necessity.

Jeremy