PDA

View Full Version : Stocking list

BigDave
02/29/2016, 07:44 PM
This seems to be a hot topic right now, so I'll jump in and get verification on my stock list too...

My tank is a 120Gallon Cube 30x30x31.

I was planning on stocking with the following:

Kole tang x1
flame angel x1
bi-color blennie x1
Carpenter's flasher wrasse x1
blue reef chromis x5
pajama cardinal x5

Reading the other threads, it sounds like I'm overstocked. It also sounds like the Kole Tang likes longer tanks to zip through... so we'll go ahead and scratch that off the list. The tank is big, but it's a cube and not real long.

What would you stock a 120 Cube with? What other fish should I look at? Could I do more than one small Angel? Maybe a Bi-color with the Flame?

thegrun
02/29/2016, 08:00 PM
I would agree that it would be best to skip the Tang. I would also not add a second Angel. The Chromis are always a gamble, your tank may be big enough to keep them from picking each other off until only one is left, but maybe not, only time will tell. I'm a big wrasse fan and there are a lot of beautiful reef safe wrasses that would be great for your tank. You might also consider a Red Stripe Pacific Hogfish (aka Peppermint Hog).

A.Astore
03/01/2016, 07:14 AM
Are your intentions to have it become a reef or remain a FOWLR? This answer will help push suggestions one way or the other. I agree with wrasse are awesome fish. Recently got a Tiger Watchman Goby that is an great fish. Helps with the sand and is just a cool looking fish. Royal Grammas are great fish as well. The royal gramma though will not be much bigger than any other fish you already have listed.

BigDave
03/01/2016, 07:20 AM
I'm setting the tank up for a mixed reef. It will have a CA reactor, protein skimmer, Live Rock, and a DSB. I'm using a 40B for the sump and will have an Ocean's Motions on the closed loop for variable water flow.

scooter31707
03/01/2016, 09:25 AM
Skip any Tang and the Bicolor Angel as they will eat coral, plus your tank is not big enough for 2 dwarf angels. You can look at a Flame Hawkfish, Wrasses, Gobies, Blennies. Be careful with the chromis, I am noticing they are coming a lot with illnesses.

roberthu526
03/02/2016, 04:50 PM
Skip any Tang and the Bicolor Angel as they will eat coral, plus your tank is not big enough for 2 dwarf angels. You can look at a Flame Hawkfish, Wrasses, Gobies, Blennies. Be careful with the chromis, I am noticing they are coming a lot with illnesses.

Tangs eat corals?

BigDave
03/12/2016, 09:01 PM
I think that was two separate statements... 'Skip any Tank' and 'the Bicolor Angel will eat coral'. After he mentioned that, I remembered hearing it before.

Marchillo
03/13/2016, 07:18 AM
I have 2 chromis and 2 pj cards in a 48 x 24 shallow reef. Both sets of fish are slightly aggressive towards each other (surprised me with the PJs). No nipped fins so I think it's fine but I definitely wouldn't do 5 chromis and I would do more research on the cards. Though you'll probably find most people say they will be ok. They are the least active of my fish but the are nocturnal so they are visible with lights off unlike most of my other fish.