PDA

View Full Version : Does this DIY tank seem secure/safe?

Candi
03/01/2016, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone!

Hopeful for some advice, I've been keeping mixed reefs for about a decade now but this is my first time buying a DIY tank. I bought this from a local guy (works for a glass company & builds his own tanks).

He said he leak tested it for over a week w/o issue, I decided to do the same for my own piece of mind... it did fine, but when I was draining it (did the front first, maybe that was a mistake?) I had a silicone seal pop on one of the rear sections. Everything else still seems secure but it has me a bit worried. Any issues with that small gap now? Is the tank itself built well from what you can see? Should I worry about anything in the back with the sections/baffles? Thank you for any advice! Tank is about 65 gallons and I'd like to keep that water off my carpet ;)

* editing to add: the stand does wrap around the base very securely and it has a canopy that is also a very snug fit around the top edge.

hotelbravo
03/01/2016, 08:43 AM
You said the silicone popped off of the overflow when draining the front section. That shouldnt have happened. Is that plastic or plexiglass for the overflow box? Generally you dont use silicone to adhere something to glass that is not glass itself.

Candi
03/01/2016, 08:48 AM
I'm honestly not sure what the white material is, some sort of plastic I assume. If you look at the 4th photo, that is where the silicone came loose, the bottom of that piece popped where it was siliconed to the other piece of white plastic (the silicone from the white portions to the glass held)

You said the silicone popped off of the overflow when draining the front section. That shouldnt have happened. Is that plastic or plexiglass for the overflow box? Generally you dont use silicone to adhere something to glass that is not glass itself.

soulpatch
03/01/2016, 09:03 AM
I am more so bothered by the design of the overflow. Why have both the first and second chamber drain at the bottom? It makes the majority of the second chamber pointless with limited to no flow in the middle/top of the chamber.

I would have had the holes from first chamber to second at the top and from second to third at the bottom like he has it though with an emergency overflow notched at the top of second to third chamber just in case. Look at the set up in a biocube for example.

hotelbravo
03/01/2016, 09:09 AM
I am more so bothered by the design of the overflow. Why have both the first and second chamber drain at the bottom? It makes the majority of the second chamber pointless with limited to no flow in the middle/top of the chamber.

I would have had the holes from first chamber to second at the top and from second to third at the bottom like he has it though with an emergency overflow notched at the top of second to third chamber just in case. Look at the set up in a biocube for example.

I also agree with this you could plug the holes on one side and then redrill the holes up top.

hotelbravo
03/01/2016, 09:11 AM
I'm honestly not sure what the white material is, some sort of plastic I assume. If you look at the 4th photo, that is where the silicone came loose, the bottom of that piece popped where it was siliconed to the other piece of white plastic (the silicone from the white portions to the glass held)

Silicone wont adhere to plexiglass and certain other plastics a different bonding agent should have been used

Candi
03/01/2016, 09:25 AM
Thank you all, you're definitely touching on my concerns as well after looking it over. It seems like trouble waiting to happen with only the holes down at the bottom like that. I think I'll go ahead and use a dremel to notch out as directed. As for the actual glass portion of the tank, any issues with that which you can see? How he has the top pieces attached etc?

JohnnyHildo
03/01/2016, 09:26 AM
the 4 glass sides will probably be fine but i sure wouldn't settle for a new tank that is already coming undone as it isn't going to get any better from here on.

Candi
03/01/2016, 09:29 AM
Impulse buy several months ago that I'm only now getting around to thinking about actually setting up... so I sort of need to go with best plan here to have it work out since I'm stuck with it.

the 4 glass sides will probably be fine but i sure wouldn't settle for a new tank that is already coming undone as it isn't going to get any better from here on.

JohnnyHildo
03/01/2016, 09:37 AM
well if it isn't possible to get the tank builder to make things right then i personally would research and resolve the blown seam before starting the system.
after recently setting my tank up it's getting close to 5g's on equipment alone. fish and coral are only going to inflate that number and it's not worth losing over something that can be repaired now.
best of luck :)

CStrickland
03/01/2016, 09:39 AM
You can't tell from a pic whether he used regular silicon that would not adhere to acrylic, or an aquarium-safe adhesive like momentive. They look the same and adhesives secure acrylic to glass perfectly well.

That said, I wouldn't trust it since it's already coming apart. Is it normal to not brace the back rim? The overflow teeth look janky. One of the front seams is sloppy. Also a white background is going to be pretty annoying to clean.

soulpatch
03/01/2016, 09:44 AM
I would simply call up the guy who sold the DIY kit and ensure you find out what the material is for the overflow walls. Then find out what adhesive they recommend for those areas. Rip out the current siliconed in back pieces and redo with the proper adhesive.

Much like using acrylic in a glass sump it can be done but typically requires more/different adhesive and it can shift ever so slightly. Considering your back portion looks to be acrylic and all one piece I would just go heavy on the backside of it with the adhesive where it flows into the tank. That is what is holding all of the pressure.

Also should you drain completly again drain from the rear first. The chamber walls will hold the pressure from the water in the front which you can drain second.

But above all else fix those chamber walls as they are not set up for proper flow/filtration through the rear.

Candi
03/01/2016, 11:03 AM
Thank you for all the advice, I'm going to reach out to him and see what he says... worst case I'll tear the overflow portion our and rebuild it.

PS: don't purchase DIY tanks w/o knowing what you're looking at or thinking it through.... ugh.