PDA

View Full Version : New Phonton 32-V2 or 48-V2

nseawater
03/01/2016, 09:29 AM
Trying to decide to either get the 32-v2 or the 48-v2 for my standard 120g tank (48x24x24). Would a 32 work? I know its only $75 difference, according to your site.

Reef_Breeders
03/01/2016, 11:26 AM
Hi,

The 32 won't quite give you full coverage on that size tank, and the 48 is also more powerful in terms of light output overall.

nseawater
03/22/2016, 08:00 PM
how noticeable is the disco effects from the LEDs? I've seen where the multi-colored leds dance around on the sand/corals. Any way of tweaking the LEDs to not have the disco lights?

Reef_Breeders
03/22/2016, 09:32 PM
There isn't really a disco effect, and you can turn off/dim the greens and reds to minimize any color spotting.

The photo I saw posted on this forum with the disco effect looked to be taken with a camera that had an off white balance, since the colors did not look correct. Also, it was a brand new tank, and white sand/rocks will reflect significantly more light than an established tank with coraline algae.

fernalfer
04/01/2016, 06:22 AM
I'm also ready to pull the trigger on the Photon V2 48 but after seeing a video on here and the disco party going on with the lights makes me weary. I know it could just be the camera but i want to make sure it not over powering. And there is just not enough reviews or people posting to see if this is going on or not. Believe me i like shimmer but not where my fish feel like they are in a club. Hopefully someone can prove to me these are not overpowering so i can purchase.

This is the video i found. If its like this i can't buy this light:

https://youtu.be/7OrkmviUQ9Y

Robb in Austin
04/03/2016, 09:12 AM
I find the disco effect is more pronounced with lots of surface turbulence. I don't have the newer version of the lights but I don't see any effect on my tank.

nuvuku
04/16/2016, 12:26 PM
I own a 48" v2 and the disco effect is not very noticeable, the light is definitely bright and has wonderful coverage though. It comes with the steel wire and clips all you need to do it put something it can attach to on your ceiling or use arms attached to the wall or stand. I use the legs it comes with since they are VERY low profile and look very good. If you have a tank with a rim I would say that you should not use the plastic thumbscrews, they are huge and stick out almost 2.5" from the sides of the tank. I can post picts if anyone would like.

fernalfer
04/17/2016, 04:40 PM
I own a 48" v2 and the disco effect is not very noticeable, the light is definitely bright and has wonderful coverage though. It comes with the steel wire and clips all you need to do it put something it can attach to on your ceiling or use arms attached to the wall or stand. I use the legs it comes with since they are VERY low profile and look very good. If you have a tank with a rim I would say that you should not use the plastic thumbscrews, they are huge and stick out almost 2.5" from the sides of the tank. I can post picts if anyone would like.

Would love to see some pics. I have a 120 and trying to convince myself to buy these lights.