PDA

View Full Version : Where to put Kalk reactor inline of ATO to prevent siphon?

iammrhappy
03/01/2016, 02:14 PM
Hey Guys. Straight to the point.

1. Stenner Peristaltic pump for ATO. Pump straight from barrel outside into sump.

2. Considering the Avast K1 Kalk reactor. Plan to put it inline of the Peristaltic pump.

Concern:

I'm concerned about siphon from the Kalk reactor. I will put the Kalk reactor in a cabinet next to my sump where the peristaltic pump is at. How can I prevent a siphon?

I don't think putting the kalk reactor before the pump will work because the reactor will cause a loss of pressure. It will have to be after. I do not have a the reactor yet, I'm just thinking ahead.

Thanks!

bertoni
03/01/2016, 07:28 PM
To prevent a siphon, you will need the output of the pump to be above the water level in the reservoir. I'm not sure quite how you plan on setting up your equipment. A diagram might help.

chema
03/01/2016, 07:59 PM
Connect the input of the peristaltic pump to the water reservoir and the exit to the input of the kalk reactor. A good peristaltic pump would never siphon the kalk from the reactor to the reservoir. The top level of the kalk reactor must be above the upper limit of the sump to allow the kalk inside the reactor to flow to the sump.

ReefTeacher
03/01/2016, 08:45 PM
I just received my Avast K1 today. I set it up in minutes and drilled a small whole in the side of the rigid input tube at the very top of the reactor. So far the siphon breaks when the pump turns off. It is not always practical to have the fresh water reservoir above the reactor when everything is below the tank.

elFloyd
03/01/2016, 08:55 PM
I have a set up like you describe: peristaltic pump in the garage pulling water from the RODI tank, through the attic and down into the Avast Kalk reactor. The output is above the sump water level and drips into the sump. I don't worry about siphoning because (1) peristaltic pumps prevent siphoning, (2) the reactor in not pressurized which allows air around the lid (no siphoning), and (3) the output from the reactor drips into the sump.

iammrhappy
03/01/2016, 09:50 PM
I have a set up like you describe: peristaltic pump in the garage pulling water from the RODI tank, through the attic and down into the Avast Kalk reactor. The output is above the sump water level and drips into the sump. I don't worry about siphoning because (1) peristaltic pumps prevent siphoning, (2) the reactor in not pressurized which allows air around the lid (no siphoning), and (3) the output from the reactor drips into the sump.

Thanks for the response! Does the output need to be above the sump rim? Wont the filling of the reactor force the kalk fluid through the output?

Can the output line post kalk reactor go higher than the reactor and then back down into the sump?

Sorry the weird questions lol. Once I get home ill take pictures of my setup.

bertoni
03/02/2016, 12:54 AM
I agree that a peristaltic pump won't allow siphoning through the line, not without a lot of strange failures, anyway. I don't know enough about the design of Kalk reactors to be sure what might happen there.

Member No. 1
03/02/2016, 04:31 AM
I use a Litermeter 3 for the same purpose, RODI in basement, reactor and Litermeter in stand with the output going over the top of the sump and the end of the tubing below the water level of the reactor. No issues, but the Litermeter does have a check valve on the output side. True, a good (3 or more rollers) peristaltic pump won't allow siphoning, but the check valve gives added insurance.

One thing I will add, do not have the opening of the output line of the kalk reactor below the waterline in the sump. It will clog fast. And even though, still monitor the opening, as it will get a buildup of kalk.

elFloyd
03/02/2016, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the response! Does the output need to be above the sump rim? Wont the filling of the reactor force the kalk fluid through the output?

Can the output line post kalk reactor go higher than the reactor and then back down into the sump?

Sorry the weird questions lol. Once I get home ill take pictures of my setup.

I started with the output above the sump for convenience. However, I find I need to clean the output tube once a month to remove built up deposits inside the tube. Maybe I get these because of the large size tube and the small output peristaltic pump (.4 gal / hour).

I haven't tried running the output up (higher than the reactor) and over the rim of the sump.