PDA

View Full Version : Bio load question

CrpReefer
03/02/2016, 09:49 AM
I have a question about bioload
I have a 90 gallon 48"x24" Surfline or wavefront, with 30 gallon sump, and a reef octo 110classic( I know it's a little undersized but that's all I could fit) 100 pound live rock
Been going for 4 1/2 years..not real high tech just a skimmer ,ATO and activated carbon
Refugium in sump with DSB and cheato ..and 2 power heads of course

My fish stock is
1 yellow tang - have had 4 years
1 black ocellaris -4 years
1 true percula-4 yr
1 firefish-4 yr
1 leopard wrasse 3 yr
1 yellow fang blenny 3 yr
1 mandarin -2 yr
1 court jester goby-6 months

It's a lightly stocked mixed reef with mainly euphylia, acans, ricordea, favia, zoas, Duncan and a few birdsnest frags
And rock flower nems

Is this a heavy bioload ? My skimmer pulls gunk out just fine it seems and everything is going strong..I just started thinking about it and would like some experienced advice or opinions

I do 2 week 20 percent water change All my Params stay even, I dose mag cal and alk when needed but my corals don't eat up a whole lot

I don't plan on adding more fish and the tang is about 4" he seems happy but I know he'd be better off in 6' tank
wrasse eats frozen

scooter31707
03/02/2016, 10:10 AM
I would say you have are moderate to lightly stocked. You don't have a lot livestock that gets over 4-5 inches.

CrpReefer
03/02/2016, 10:26 AM
I would say you have are moderate to lightly stocked. You don't have a lot livestock that gets over 4-5 inches.

Ok thats what I was hoping..thanks for replying

Reef Frog
03/02/2016, 01:15 PM
The stocking looks reasonable to me as well, assuming there is no major aggression or undue stress among the fish, and they have all found their niche and territories.

As for the biological side of things, IMO one way to tell is by Nitrate levels in a mature tank. If they can stay in a low target range with just normal water changes you are in a natural balance. If you need to employ bio pellets or carbon dosing to keep on target, that's fine too.

But run away NO3 that requires enormous effort to control despite conservative feeding & good husbandry suggests that there may be too many fish or too many big fish for the water volume available.