PDA

View Full Version : What are acceptable nitrates?

splix
03/03/2016, 12:14 PM
I've never had an issue with nitrates until I changed tanks. I had to change due to the previous tank starting to physically fail. All LR and stock went into a 100g tub with lighting until I got the new tank setup a couple days later. I went from a 155 to a 125.

Same rock, new sand, same bio load, same equipment. I've been trying to get my nitrates down, but they're just hovering around 8 or so. Not quite 10, but not the 2 that I was used to before. I've done 2 water changes this week. One was 50% one was probably 20%, but they're not making that big of a difference. I run GFO and carbon in a reactor.

SG: 1.026
mag: 1450
calc: 450
alk: 8
ammonia: 0
no3: 8
po4: about 0, not even .025

Bio: small clown tang, small kole tang, 2 juvenile clowns, 2 fire fish, 2 blue jaw triggers, green mandarin. LPS and SPS. 3 BTA's.

Should I look at dosing vodka, or vinegar, or something else?

Bent
03/03/2016, 02:56 PM
The issue is that you disturbed the Rock and sand when you switched tanks.

I would def carbon dose until it goes back down. Large water changes will help too, but I would get it under control sooner than later.

splix
03/03/2016, 03:11 PM
I just started vinegar today. I may get bio pellets for my reactor if you think it's a good idea.

Bent
03/03/2016, 03:24 PM
I just started vinegar today. I may get bio pellets for my reactor if you think it's a good idea.

I personally haven't gone the bio-pellet route yet, but I haven't ruled it out.

Couldn't hurt.

Galaxyreef
03/03/2016, 05:04 PM
Agree with carbon dosing and a few water changes are in order.

heathlindner25
03/03/2016, 05:32 PM
I am a big advocate of vodka and all of its uses. Crystal clear water without the use of carbon and the ability to control nitrates however you want. It's also really good with cranberry juice.hth
Acceptable level of nitrates for me....2-5 ppm with Acropora.

CStrickland
03/03/2016, 06:24 PM
I'm happy if they're under ten, and I don't worry till they hit 25; no sps or anemones though. It's normal for it to take a while to come down after a disruption like moving. Especially since you lost all the filtration in the sand. You don't say how long you've given it to recover? I'd hold off on the biopellets until you see where the tank lands, you might not need to dose carbon longterm. If you can back off once things settle down that's nice. The simpler the better IMO.

Id say your tanks on the verge of being crowded, so it may need help to keep nutrients down. But they're all diff.

One thing about carbon dosing is it works on carbon limited systems. Where there's plenty of everything except carbon, adding carbon is like roids for the bacteria. If your phos gets toooo low, you can wind up with plenty of C and N, but not enough Phos for the bac. So you might want to play around with your gfo use, depending on how sensitive your measure for po4 is.