PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on an APC unit?

Poonagi
03/04/2016, 04:01 PM
Does anybody know of a good APC/Battery backup unit they would recommend? Some combination of reliable and cost-efficient would be ideal. Our power recently went out twice for about an hour each time and it freaked me out. Ideally I'd like for the APC unit to be able to run the pump (no need to run the lights on backup power) in an emergency situation for a few hours or even a full day if possible.

I have an IM 40G tank. The pump is 45W 110v/60Hz 476 Gallons Per Hour Pump.

Thanks for your help guys!

CHSUB
03/04/2016, 04:47 PM
forget APC and follow this thread!!!! i did and it's great, major "peace of mind"....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2440002&highlight=battery+backup

Poonagi
03/04/2016, 04:56 PM
forget APC and follow this thread!!!! i did and it's great, major "peace of mind"....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2440002&highlight=battery+backup

Thank you for the link but... damn that seems complicated lol. I'm not sure I can handle all of that. I'll check it out and see though. Thanks again!

GimpyFin
03/04/2016, 06:12 PM
If you are wanting to power just the pump and nothing else, a UPS might work ok for you. Probably enough runtime to cover most power outages. Personally, I think some of the Cyber Power units are a better buy than APC in this scenario. Their PFC Sinewave series is good and provides true sinewave power output to the equipment. The CP1500PFCLCD (1500VA/900W) is the beefiest one and it only runs about $200. Has a nice LCD display and even a couple USB ports on front.

Reef Frog
03/05/2016, 11:07 AM
If you have a automobile jump box all you need is a small inexpensive AC DC power inverter to run a pump or powerhead many hours. Some of the fancier jump boxes have an inverter build in.

K.C.
03/05/2016, 03:00 PM
APC is one of the better known brands but I can tell you after 30 years working in IT that only their enterprise products are any better than the cheap chinese UPSs.

I have a reconditioned Smart UPS by APC that puts out a pure sine wave so my Apex won't get fried.

Battery backups to the MP10/40/60s and Tunze safety connectors direct to deep discharge marine batteries for the return pumps.

That's good for the first 3-4 hours after which I plug in the Honda 2K with 8 hours run time and an inverter built in so it's clean power for anything I want to run.

I've had to use it 3 times in the last year.

Poonagi
03/07/2016, 12:11 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I'm clearly not very good about this stuff so a lot of this stuff is flying over my head (like the sine wave stuff). Trying to read up and see if I can educate myself. Having said that, somebody linked me to this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TZTGWK/ref=s9_simh_gw_g23_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1N7DPC3HK09QYA5V1NW8&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Would this be a unit that could keep a pump running for a few hours at least? Any issues as far as you can see? Thanks for all the help!