PDA

View Full Version : Help! Strange behavior and death

sMiller624
03/06/2016, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone. You all were so helpful with my first post so I thought I'd try again. Tank has been running about 2 months now and numbers look great. No ammonia or nitrites, nitrates < 10ppm, temp 79.4, 1.024sg 29g high. Had 2 ocelaris clowns and just about a week ago added a Bengaii Cardinal. Clowns were doing great. Always happy and following me around the tank and eating. Other day I was doing maintenance on my protein skimmer and after I was done I noticed the clowns sitting on their bellies breathing really heavy. Thought maybe I had just stressed them out and the cardinal was fine. Next day they were a little more active but not like before and still breathing heavy. Still no change with Cardinal. Then the next morning the clowns were still the same but the cardinal was now breathing heavy and resting on the bottom. When I got home from work the cardinal was gone and after pulling out a piece of live rock with a tunnel in it I found my Emerald crab eating him. Clowns are still eating but still breathing heavy and lethargic. No spots on them, no signs of damage or disease, no stringy white poop, no signs of disease other than breathing heavy. All my research said that this is a parasite and I would see signs on gills and white spots but I see nothing. Any ideas? What can I do to fix this? I don't wanna add more fish if there is something that will keep killing them.

gone fishin
03/06/2016, 01:14 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389659

The link is to a sticky in the fish disease forum. There is a diagnosis section in the link that may help to identify if it is some sort of illness.

What kind of circulation do you have going in the tank. Is it possible there is not enough gas exchange and you have low oxygen.

sMiller624
03/06/2016, 01:26 PM
I have 2 power heads. One pointed at the surface to cause ripples and one towards the bottom pointed towards the live rocks. No dead spots that I have found in the tank. I think the cardinal was wild caught and he wasn't eating very well so he may have just died that way. It just concerns me with all the heavy breathing and lethargic behavior. I will check out that link though. Thanks :)