PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had this experience with Kessil A360W's?

MJT82
03/06/2016, 08:19 PM
I'm having trouble with one of my Kessil A360W's... I run two of them from a Kessil Spectral Controller. Occasionally, I'll walk into the room and one of my Kessil's will be off. It's always the same one. I can go and unplug the 3 prong connector, replug it, and it's fixed. I can't observe any rhyme or reason or pattern to when it turns off.

Has anyone experienced this behavior before? If so, is there any solution? I'm afraid the light is out of warranty, so I'm sure Kessil won't replace it at this point...

Thanks!

zachfishman
03/07/2016, 11:53 AM
Here's what I would do to troubleshoot:

1) Swap their power supplies. If the issue switches to the other Kessil, you need a new power supply. If not...

2) Run them without the Spectral controller for a while. If the issue persists you know it isn't a 0-10V signal issue.

3) If it is an issue with control, try a new control cable (you can use any 3.5mm audio cable). If you still have the issue, try swapping the order they connect to the Spectral Controller (if they're daisy chained). If this fixes the issue, the 0-10V output from your primary Kessil may be faulty. Alternatively, if each Kessil is connected to its own port on the Spectral Controller, swap them and see if the issue swaps too.

These steps can help eliminate variables and help you dial in on the issue.

david.faik
03/07/2016, 12:37 PM
I had the power supply on the A350 go after about 3 months. They use the cheapest Chinese PSUs. I bought a suitably rated Meanwell brand PSU, IP67 waterproof and got back up and running.

Great lights, but the PSUs, cables that are not screwed watertight and easily pull apart plus the crap mounting system (doesn't hide the cable and comes with plastic ties - get real!) really let Kessil down. Maybe smokin' too much herb from their grow light business to think about the different needs of the aquarist versus the pot farmer LOL

MJT82
03/07/2016, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies!! I'll give the troubleshooting a shot...

MJT82
03/14/2016, 05:53 AM
Update: I emailed Kessil and got a very fast reply.. The rep suggested that I get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the housing, as dust can cause overheating. After doing so, the light has been working fine!