PDA

View Full Version : Miniatus Grouper in 220 gallon (odd dimensions) Reef?

happyclam
03/07/2016, 01:21 PM
Hello!

I am in the process of overhauling some marine displays and I am starting to think about how to stock them. One of the displays is 220 gallons and is 60" long x 18.5" wide x 40" tall. It is an unusual shape, but I am going to take advantage of it by replicating the deeper fore reef: rock sloping down steeply from surface on left side of tank to a sand patch that fills the left half of the tank. There will be some small coral bommies in the sand on the left and at least 1 big overhang/cave on the slope on the right.

The idea is to have a Miniatus Grouper take up residence in the cave after allowing a group of 3 cleaner shrimp to establish and grow in the tank. Additionally, considering blue chromis and humbug damsels as dither fish. I wonder if having a predator in the tank would encourage a group of chromis to behave themselves for once. Other inhabitants include an existing fox face and Banggai cardinals, though I am not sure if I would leave the latter in the tank if I get the grouper. I had considered getting them a longspine sea urchin for protection, but I'm not sure if this would actually work. The rocks will feature Kenya tree, clauvularia, mushrooms, and zoanthids, and perhaps a few LPS.

Let me know what you think. The biggest thing I am curious about right now is if this tank is even big enough for the grouper- the rest of the fish I will figure out next.

Thanks!

Fitz19d
03/07/2016, 03:48 PM
Dimensions are horrible. Gripper won't use vertical and as described only like 30 inches long of left side some hill or whatever. Better off making a lion tank as they will float about and use the space more. Mini I think would wipe everything out. I wanted one for my 300 but after doing the research concluded it a poor choice unless I was happy with a solo fish tank. ( same with clown trigger sadly)

happyclam
03/07/2016, 10:25 PM
Would that be the same for all groupers across the board? What about some of the smaller hinds, such as C. urodeta and C. formosa?

ThRoewer
03/08/2016, 12:50 AM
What was that tank build for, freshwater?
Those are impossible dimensions for a reef tank.

If you want to make a wall, fish like Gramma would be a better choice.
A grouper needs more ground space and the little fish will sooner or later end up as food.

happyclam
03/08/2016, 10:41 AM
You know, that is a good question that I am not sure the tank builder knew either. They are both made of fiberglass and have small corner overflows. They have metal stands, but are uncoated so are beginning to rust from exposure to salt over the years.

Anywho, you are all right- it is just too small of a tank. I had considered briefly that it might be acceptable given the relative inactivity of the grouper most of the time. But now I am thinking more of populating it with many smaller fish. I would still like to keep it based in the Indo-Pacific, so am considering a harem of flasher wrasse.

Fitz19d
03/08/2016, 11:34 AM
Would that be the same for all groupers across the board? What about some of the smaller hinds, such as C. urodeta and C. formosa?

I think most suffer from being fairly low dwelling fish. Smaller ones still probably big enough to eat some of your stuff but maybe not the foxface. As far as aggresiveness, I thought there were a couple more mellow ones suggested but I dont recall as I was focused on the mini for looks.

Fitz19d
03/08/2016, 11:36 AM
Also re small tank, with my 300dd i thought of doing all 1-2 inch fish so it could be filled with dozens.

I think you could do a couple pairs of shrimp/goby then might have success with a lot of water column fish. Might be tall enough less likely to get firefish jumping. Lots of options.

Look into Chalk/lantern bass. Will eat other tiny fish, but saw some in person and do look pretty awesome for an otherwise reef safe fish.