PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone ID these? Good or Bad?

mjohns27
03/07/2016, 09:43 PM
I have had these little guys growing on my rock for about 6 months, they only grow to about 1cm in length and are a purple colour. They are the little stick looking things on the right side of the photo. They are easy to break off but have spread all over the rock, almost everywhere in the tank. If anyone knows what they are and if they are okay to be in the tank or not, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

CNGH
03/08/2016, 01:08 AM
They look like vermitid snails. Hard to tell on my phone though. Do they cast a web-ish strand into the water? Especially when you're feeding the tank?

They're neither good nor bad but can be annoying bc they mess with tank aesthetics and can irritate some corals. That being said, I always remove them from frags. If you do try to remove them make sure to get the entire base, not just the "stem."

Kentech5
03/08/2016, 02:17 AM
Yep, definitely Vermetid snails. Ive got plenty in my tank, they're just kind of annoying with their webs.

mjohns27
03/08/2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the replies! I did a google search on vermetid snails and thats definitely what they are... never would have guessed a snail.