PDA

View Full Version : Lumatek won't run MH but will HPS

jestronix
03/09/2016, 06:09 AM
So my lumatek adjustable ballast decided it won't run halides any more, so being a couple weeks old I went back to the hydro store and got them to test it, it ran the HPS build with no issues, I only had one MH bulb so I thought ok time to buy another halide bulb. XM10k arrived today and it too won't fire. So what gives ?

I was thinking ignighter ? Nope HPS use ignighters, weird eh?

I'll take in my lamp holder, bulbs and ballast in tomorrow and ask if I can test, I reckon it's ballast, some how not detecting a bulb is connected. The bulbs look fine.

I was watching the tank when the light went off, it made no noise, nothing just went off and now will only fire HPS.

jestronix
03/09/2016, 09:37 PM
Ok so theres an answer.

Ballast killed my 400w bulb, and the new 10k XM bulb wouldnt fire. Tried another new lumatek , no luck, put the XM bulb on a mag balast, fired no problem.

Turns out even though there are lots of us running the Lumateks, its not just about brand matching and replicating what others have done, its about knowing that companies change suppliers of their components and this in turn rolls on to what used to work, doesnt work now.

20,000 cycles i think must be part of this issue with the bulb death.

So im back on on trusted MAG ballast, it works its heavy and its good. :) The shop was very helpful and refunded the lumatek.

Lesson learnt, one dead bulb and 3 x 1 hour trips to the shop. ah well.