PDA

View Full Version : Live rock keeping ammonia down???

pepito113
03/09/2016, 08:34 AM
Hello. Cycling my 75 gallon tank. I put in 2 good size shrimps in a mesh bag. It's been 60 hours (2.5 days) and still no ammonia or nitrite. Shrimps feel like mush and looking decomposed. Is it possible I am not seeing any spike due to the live rock??? I put 3 good size pieces from the local fish shop. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Using Api test kit. Just used red sea test to check ammonia and looks to be 0 as well. Thanks for your input and ideas.

RayAllen3422
03/09/2016, 08:40 AM
Did you get live rock from another tank and fairly quickly put it in your tank? Depending on how long the live rock was transported there could be no cycle. Basically if the live rock was established with bacteria and there was no significant die-off, then I don't think you would have a cycle or maybe have one so small that you wouldn't notice it.

pepito113
03/09/2016, 08:46 AM
Did you get live rock from another tank and fairly quickly put it in your tank? Depending on how long the live rock was transported there could be no cycle. Basically if the live rock was established with bacteria and there was no significant die-off, then I don't think you would have a cycle or maybe have one so small that you wouldn't notice it.

Yes. From another big tank they had. They have growth and Caroline algae on it. The 3 pieces came Home in heavy duty plastic bag and where in my tank about 20 mins after they were removed from the fish store. They appeared to be moist. Not sure how much die off I had. True maybe a very small cycle but eventually won't I see nitrate at the end? They the tank was converting ammonia, nitrite and the. I should start to see nitrate?

RayAllen3422
03/09/2016, 08:49 AM
The 3 pieces came Home in heavy duty plastic bag and where in my tank about 20 mins after they were removed from the fish store. They appeared to be moist. Not sure how much die off I had. True maybe a very small cycle but eventually won't I see nitrate at the end? They the tank was converting ammonia, nitrite and the. I should start to see nitrate?

I would assume. It has only been 2.5 days. I would just keep testing and see.

pepito113
03/09/2016, 08:50 AM
I would assume. It has only been 2.5 days. I would just keep testing and see.

I edit my last response. But yeah will keep checking and testing.