PDA

View Full Version : Enough Light for my tank?

Redbellyjx
03/10/2016, 08:12 AM
My current 'work in progress' is an 80 gallon shallow rimless (48x2x18H). I have a thread on here somewhere, but there has not been much exciting progress other than cycling it.

I am currently using an older ATI Power module, 6 x 39watts ( that is the 3 ft version, over a 4ft tank) The bulbs in it are well over a year old, and I haven't been inclined to change them since I do not have any corals in the tank (currently). I have been cycling the tank since November of last year, and 3 weeks ago started the ZEOvit cycle. I have a Calcium Rx coming in on Monday next week (Skimz CM113). I am getting antsy to start adding corals to the tank, which means it's probably time to replace my bulbs.

This raises a question. Before I go out and spend $150 replacing my bulbs, should I consider upgrading my lights? My current ATI came from my 50 gallon tank that was 36x18x18. SO it was a perfect fit. Now my tank is longer and wider. I am wondering if I should upgrade to an 8x54watt unit? My goals for this tank is to be an SPS grow out tank.

I am/have been happy with my ATI, and really don't want to upgrade if I don't have to. Do you think it is enough light for my set up?

If I do upgrade, it would probably be to a sunpower 8x54, a non dimmable powermodule 8x54 (basically the bigger version of what I already have) or option 3 is the giesmann matrix ii 8x54.

Too Long; Didn't read your post Version:
-I have a 48x24" foot print tank
-I have a 39watt x 6 bulb ATI Power module from previous tank (36 inches long)
-Will it be enough for the longer and wider tank, or should I get a 54x8 light fixure

Thanks.... comments, questions, critiques greatly appreciated.