PDA

View Full Version : Chiller with Apex help

ScubaNemo
03/10/2016, 07:58 PM
Hi guys, so it is starting to warm up in NY and I need help figuring out how to configure the settings on the chiller and Apex.
Let's say I want to keep my temperature at 78 degrees and I want to control the chiller via the Apex. What degree do I program on the actual chiller and what degree range do I program on the apex fusion? Let's say I would want the tank temperature to rise max to 80 degrees. I'm a bit confused as I don't want one program to cancel the other. Help please :-)

kurt_n
03/10/2016, 09:51 PM
There are several different ways to go about it, but here's what I'd do...

Assuming the chiller itself has an internal thermostat that turns it on/off, I'd program it to come on a degree below where you're going to really want it to come on. I'd also program it to turn off a degree lower than where you're going to really want it to turn off.

I'd then plug the chiller into your EB outlet that is programmed to come on at whatever temp you want, and turn off at whatever temp you want.

With this scenario, you Apex will be controlling the on/off of your chiller. Your chiller will already think it's on when the Apex turns the power on to it and will start chilling at that point. The Apex will also turn it off, but in case it doesn't the chiller will turn itself off when it gets a degree below where the Apex *should've* turned it off at.

[This is the way I've used my Apex/chiller without issues now for 4 years.]

The other option that others will probably mention is a lot like how many use the Apex with their heaters: Have the internal chiller controller turn on/off the chiller, and use the Apex as a failsafe on the outlet - where it cuts power if things get waaaay too hot, or waaaay too cold.

Also... you want to make sure your temperature probe in the chiller matches the temperature reading of the Apex. I think most chillers allow you to tweak the internal temp probe offsets and you can just match it to the Apex. You just want to make sure that they're both "seeing" the same temperature so one isn't fighting the other.

Pablos RSM 450
03/10/2016, 10:40 PM
Hi guys, so it is starting to warm up in NY and I need help figuring out how to configure the settings on the chiller and Apex.
Let's say I want to keep my temperature at 78 degrees and I want to control the chiller via the Apex. What degree do I program on the actual chiller and what degree range do I program on the apex fusion? Let's say I would want the tank temperature to rise max to 80 degrees. I'm a bit confused as I don't want one program to cancel the other. Help please :-)

First set the thermostat on the chiller. The way I did it was with 2 different thermometers. My chiller was off by 2 degrees so on my Aquaeuro Titanium 1/4hp I pressed and held the temp up and down at the same time until the led numbers flashed and I adjusted the thermostat to match the 2 thermometers. Make sure your apex temp probe is calibrated to the thermometer you are using to calibrate the chiller. In the summer I run my tank at 79-81 I set the apex to turn on at 81 and off at 79 while having the chiller set at 76 so that it turns on at 78. I run my heater in the winter at 76-78 so that it is not turning on as often and it does not heat up to the point where the heater and the chiller are competing. In your case you can set your chiller to turn on at 78 and off at 76 and then set your apex to turn the chiller on at 80 then off at 78. The 2 degree difference between the chiller and the apex is to make sure the chiller turns on when the apex powers it on. The thermostats on most chillers are not that reliable that's why I also use a 2 degree difference between apex and chiller.

Here are some helpful videos.
Apex
https://youtu.be/8YDfFEwmtyE
Chiller adjustment
https://youtu.be/uNNPegVpYYI

ScubaNemo
03/11/2016, 07:56 AM
Thank you!