PDA

View Full Version : To aid in coral calcification....

dhalderman
03/10/2016, 09:43 PM
I have a question about something I read somewhere and I would like some opinions about it from experienced reefers out there. My pH is rock solid at 8.0, every now and than, 8.1 and does not budge. I use B ionic 2 part which I was told might raise it. Over time, brought my Cal and Alk from 390 and 7.5, to 450 and 9.5. pH remained unchanged throughout all that dosing. So no biggie, I know that is not a bad pH, but I read that calcification becomes much easier for corals around 8.3 and would speed up growth, making the uptake of alk and cal easier for corals. In the discussion, people had suggested that making cal and alk more readily available, (higher levels) might compensate for this and make it easy for the corals to uptake as if my pH was a bit higher. Is this true? While my levels of cal and alk are ok, given my pH, would it benefit to go a little bit higher on cal and alk?
Currently...
Mg. - 1380
alk - 9.5
cal - 460

bertoni
03/12/2016, 11:12 AM
B-Ionic is a supplement system. The alkalinity solution will raise the pH for a bit by consuming carbon dioxide from the water, but aeration will bring the pH back down. 8.0 is great for a tank inside a house. I wouldn't worry. A lot of Tanks of the Month run at 7.8.