PDA

View Full Version : Help me stock my tank & keep it running

karlc
03/11/2016, 10:04 AM
I have a 72 gal bow front with 20 gal sump. No refugium, just BM Curve 7 skimmer. The tank has been running for 3+ years. Lots of live rock covered in coralline.

In 2015 the tank crashed when I improperly treated for red slime. I lost everything. I let it sit for several months, then in Dec started again. Over a couple months I added 2 clowns, flame angel, potters angel, carpenter wrasse, christmas wrasse, blue jaw trigger and powder blue tang. my PBT got ich and I've been treating it, but he finally succumbed yesterday. I also had a stray voltage problem which I believe is the reason for me also losing my 2 clowns, carpenter wrasse and flame angel. Needless to say I'm really frustrated to keep dropping so much $$ on a hobby I love but can't seem to make work.

I also began adding some coral frags: zoa, kryptonite candy cane, ricordea, acan, toadstool, acropora. I regularly feed them and do 20% water change each week.

I fixed my stray voltage. My potters, blue jaw and christmas seem to be doing fine. I'll finish the ich treatment before adding anything, but wonder what you all think I should get or do? I love the color of the PBT, but I learned yesterday that they require more swimming space. True? Did I stress him out? What about another angel or two? Swallowtail? I used to have a foxface & loved him.

I'm frustrated. What more can I do to keep my investment and love of the hobby alive? What colorful, cool fish would you put in? Help!

---
CA 450; KH 8.7; MG 1350; temp 78; Salinity 1.024; Nitrate 20ppm; Nitrite 0; Ammonia 0; pH 8.2

bat21
03/11/2016, 12:58 PM
Ok, based on your story, I can offer some advice:

1. Quarantine new additions
2. Don't use chemical fixes for algae problems
3. Do not put any tangs or triggers or foxfaces or angels (besides dwarf) in a tank that small.
4. If you don't like the third piece of advice, then you need a larger tank.

karlc
03/12/2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. Getting a bigger tank would be awesome, but not possible. So I guess I admire some of the fish through other's tanks & I do what's best for my tank size. Again, thanks.