PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Tang problems

lance1337
03/12/2016, 07:18 AM
Last night I was messing with the lights and turned the white channel off and turned the blue channel all the way up because I was looking for predator nudibranch's. About a minute later I noticed my hippo tang acting crazy. Backing up towards the surface then taking off like lightning skipping across the water. It did this twice then skipped out of the tank and took a 65" drop onto hardwood. I scooped it up and put it in the sump. It's alive, but looks beat up, and just lays on its side 95 percent of the time. I don't know what to do other then just wait and see what happens.

None of the other fish were bullying the hippo.

My tank is 265 gallons
Sump is (2) 40 breeders
Filtration is (2) waterfall ATS, activated carbon, filter floss.

Parameters:
Salinity: 34
Phosphate: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.1
Alkalinity: 12
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1400

Tank mates:
Black/white clown
Orange/white clown
Royal gramma
Blue/green chromis
Blue head wrasse
Sixline wrasse
Sea hare
Serpent star
Cleaner shrimp

BigBlueTang
03/12/2016, 10:39 AM
How long have you had him?
Did you QT him?
When was the last wet thing added to the tank?

lance1337
03/12/2016, 01:43 PM
8 months
No
Blue head wrasse & sixline wrasse was added the last 2 days.

lance1337
03/12/2016, 01:50 PM
Hippo Tang still alive. It's hiding behind my activated carbon bags in one of my sumps.

BigBlueTang
03/12/2016, 02:53 PM
8 months
No
Blue head wrasse & sixline wrasse was added the last 2 days.

Were either of those fish Qt'ed?

I'd guess a disease of some kind. Post a picture, and we can ID it and tell you what to do to save your fish.

lance1337
03/12/2016, 03:52 PM
Were either of those fish Qt'ed?

I'd guess a disease of some kind. Post a picture, and we can ID it and tell you what to do to save your fish.

No, the wrasses were not quarantined. Both seem healthy though.

BigBlueTang
03/12/2016, 04:50 PM
No, the wrasses were not quarantined. Both seem healthy though.

A fish can still be sick, even if it's not showing any signs.
Tangs are very prone to ich, and other diseases, as they have a slim slime coat.
Again, a picture is worth a thousand words...

lance1337
03/12/2016, 06:04 PM
A fish can still be sick, even if it's not showing any signs.
Tangs are very prone to ich, and other diseases, as they have a slim slime coat.
Again, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Best pictures I can get without picking her up, and I'm not gonna do that right now. She started swimming around this evening. There are no white spots on her, those are bubbles from the sump.

lance1337
03/12/2016, 06:06 PM
She's banged up pretty bad from the fall. That's what those marks on the face area are. They are also on the side of her.

BigBlueTang
03/13/2016, 01:51 AM
Best pictures I can get without picking her up, and I'm not gonna do that right now. She started swimming around this evening. There are no white spots on her, those are bubbles from the sump.

She looks okay, good thing she's swimming.
I bet she's just stressed... Is she eating?
I would monitor her VERY closely. Any flashing or scratching, and you have a problem. Same goes with other fish in your tank. If one has it, they all do.

lance1337
03/14/2016, 07:19 AM
She looks okay, good thing she's swimming.
I bet she's just stressed... Is she eating?
I would monitor her VERY closely. Any flashing or scratching, and you have a problem. Same goes with other fish in your tank. If one has it, they all do.

She's currently not eating. No flashing or scratching from her or any other fish at the moment. I hope she pulls through as I've had her since she was tiny and now she's about 4.5".

scooter31707
03/14/2016, 08:57 AM
Look like it could be HLLE which common for tangs.

lance1337
03/15/2016, 06:16 AM
Look like it could be HLLE which common for tangs.

It didn't look like that before the fall. Hlle is not the cause of it acting crazy all of a sudden and jumping out of the tank. I'm thinking me messing with the lights caused that and the fall is why it hasn't been swimming properly. Or maybe it ate a bristle worm by accident, I have plenty of those in my tank. I now have an egg crate lid for my tank to prevent this from happening again.

carrots
03/15/2016, 01:04 PM
Hopefully you just scared the B-Jesus out of it and temporarily blinded it with the bright lights. Hopefully he will recover quickly from that fall.

lance1337
04/02/2016, 07:52 AM
Happy to say that my hippo tang has fully recovered and back in the display tank :) :)

SNAKEMANVET
04/03/2016, 01:14 PM
My hippo will freak out at first when my white LEDs would go out with only the blues on,also my clowns would fight,because they are red andwent from red to black under blue LEDs.Good to hear it made a recovery