PDA

View Full Version : Nyos Quantum 160 help

jimxms
03/12/2016, 12:34 PM
Hi all, I recently bought this skimmer (about 3 months ago) and am having a little trouble getting it dialled in properly.

It's sitting in 21cm of water and i seem to have to completely close the water outlet and almost completely close the air intake to get the water level up to the base of the skimmer cup neck!

With just the water outlet closed it produced a very light skimmate and small adjustments to the air inlet make no difference. It was only when I almost completely closed the air inlet that it finally started producing smaller bubbles.

This seems a bit counter intuitive as I bought the skimmer in the first place for its massive 1500 l/h air intake, and I'm pretty much choking it down to nothing.

Does anyone else have this model? I thought it was one of the best money could buy :/

SkyReptiles
03/26/2017, 07:41 AM
I just posted a thread asking the same thing. Did you get yours figured out since you posted this?

jimxms
03/26/2017, 02:21 PM
Tbh I ditched the skimmer as it was nothing but problems.

1) even with the outlet almost completely closed I couldn't get the water level high enough.

2) the impeller failed after a month

3) the plastic casing that holds the impeller inside the pump cracked around the screw holes.

4) As above, I had to almost completely close the air I let to get a decent foam.

5) All the stupid holes in the bubble plate above the pump clog up within days and change the water level.

For the price, it was absolute tosh.

SkyReptiles
03/26/2017, 03:07 PM
That's what I'm thinking too.

zsuman101
03/26/2017, 07:47 PM
they are excellent skimmers, your just lost in confusion abit, youll get it. the only needle wheel skimmer ive used that is cake to set up is the tunze 9410, a completely under the radar over achieving skimmer, keep at it youll get it

jimxms
03/27/2017, 01:11 AM
I traded mine for a Deltec DC pump skimmer and the Deltec has been 1000 times better. They may look like a really simple design, and they're not made from the thickest acrylic or expensive titanium screws, but they are easy to dial in and very consistent. IMO when it comes to skimmers, simple wins every time.