PDA

View Full Version : Temper tank bottom?

flyguyscott
03/12/2016, 11:03 PM
I just placed an order for a 180 gallon rimless tank (72 x 24 x 24) with Miracles. When I brought up the discussion about tempering the bottom, the gentleman mentioned they don't usually do that, they only temper pieces that have holes cut in them.

He mentioned using starboard and I've found other posts about using egg crate. Any opinions between the two products or to have the bottom tempered?

Dkuhlmann
03/13/2016, 03:52 AM
You can't drill tempered glass, so that guy has no clue what he's talking about.

You can use starboard if you wish and a bottom glass doesn't have to be tempered. I'm still suck on that guy saying they only put tempered glass where it is going to be drilled. :hammer: If you drill tempered glass it will shatter! Tank bottoms typically do have tempered glass.

OllieNZ
03/13/2016, 04:25 AM
You can't drill tempered glass, so that guy has no clue what he's talking about.

You can use starboard if you wish and a bottom glass doesn't have to be tempered. I'm still suck on that guy saying they only put tempered glass where it is going to be drilled. :hammer: If you drill tempered glass it will shatter! Tank bottoms typically do have tempered glass.
No you can't drill tempered glass but you can temper glass after you drill it.

flyguyscott
03/13/2016, 07:30 AM
Sorry I didn't clarify... The holes are drilled and then sent away to be tempered to strengthen the pieces.

It's also being built with 3/4" glass.

Dkuhlmann
03/13/2016, 08:51 AM
Ok then yes that will work.

thegrun
03/13/2016, 07:46 PM
I personally like egg crate and use it on the bottom of all my tanks that have sand. It does help protect the bottom of the tank a little, but it's main function is to help lock the rocks in place.

T Haynes
03/13/2016, 08:23 PM

Well, I mean, you could drill a tempered bottom :lolspin:

SNAKEMANVET
03/14/2016, 12:47 PM
Instead of egg crate I use 1/4'' plexi glass.