PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Noise

aravindk
03/13/2016, 09:13 AM
Hello,

I have a 180 gallon and it makes a lot noise. I am trying to find the source of so I can either eliminate or minimize it. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39JI8QJjx8

Right side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oChspxhY_TY

I see a faint gurgling sound which hopefully a device like maggie muffler can address. What is the huge swooshing noise? It is the water coming in or going back? How can I fix it?

Also is that PVC 1-1/4" or 1.5"?

Reel North
03/13/2016, 09:20 AM
I can't open the second vid. Look like you have a stream of water flowing out of the return somewhere that is creating the bubbles.

Bent
03/13/2016, 09:39 AM
The few ways I've figured out that a tank makes noise is like so:

1: surface agitation. Usually from the return pump or power heads. Depending on your setup you might not be able to get around this since the surface needs to be agitated.

2: water coming down the overflow. Depending on how violently the water pushes over the overflow and how far down the water has to go to hit the level in the box, it can be a pretty big source of noise. The few things I've found that help is:
-the water needs to slide down the inside of the box and not "jump" over it. If the water slides down the side then the splashing at the bottom of the box will be minimal. One thing you can do is take a dremel and angle the inside of the box between the teeth to help the water slide down. Small individual water "ramps".
-make the level of the overflow box as high as possible. Dial back the main drain to raise the level in the overflow box so the water splashing sound isn't so severe.
-some coarse filter floss in the overflow box will help.
-a lid on the box will also help.

3: open dorso vs siphon drains. Open dorso drains are painfully loud and there isn't much you can do. There are some muffler products out there that will help, but the best way to quiet it down is to convert it to siphon. If you have two drains, then it can be done. Make one siphon and one emergency and done.

aravindk
03/13/2016, 09:39 AM
Can you check the second video again? loading fine for me.

Another thing I noticed that the water level in the left side is higher than the right side. Does that say anything? The left side water is about 2.5" from top but the right side it is 3.5" from top.

In the second video showing the right side it looks like the loc-line is not tight enough. The water is spraying out of the loc-line connection. Can I just tighten it or should I replace the loc-line return?

aravindk
03/13/2016, 09:50 AM
3: open dorso vs siphon drains. Open dorso drains are painfully loud and there isn't much you can do. There are some muffler products out there that will help, but the best way to quiet it down is to convert it to siphon. If you have two drains, then it can be done. Make one siphon and one emergency and done.

I do have two drains left side and right side of the tank. May be I should explore further if it can be converted to drain.

Bent
03/13/2016, 10:12 AM
I do have two drains left side and right side of the tank. May be I should explore further if it can be converted to drain.

I would. That would eliminate most of the problem.

Reel North
03/13/2016, 10:29 AM
It's not your videos that are the problem. It's my iPad.

I had durso before, and on my new build got it drilled for a bean animal. Dead silent.

joaocdestro
07/01/2016, 02:15 PM
I've created a 50mm pipe overflow, very cheap and extreme quiet!!!
*better than my noisy manufactured Skimz Overflow

https://youtu.be/S6sUMp-D5jY

GimpyFin
07/01/2016, 02:44 PM
I have the same Marineland overflow and piping as you do and it is almost completely silent. There are a few things you can do that might help. First, try slowing down the return pump. This can help a decent amount. Second, make sure the drain pipe is below the water level in the sump. This will quiet any splashing below. Third, take the siphon breaks out. (It looks like you have them because of the bubbles around the return piping in the overflow.) The durso kits that come with the marineland tanks have siphon break holes drilled in the return elbow near where the locline tubing attaches. Replace the elbow with a regular one and just place your return jets near the water line to use as a siphon break instead. This will help quiet water noise in the overflow itself.

blackbeltmom
11/14/2016, 10:27 PM
I thought that it wasn't a good idea not to have the siphon break on the return.

Joe0813
11/14/2016, 10:41 PM
I have the same tank except my overflows aren't in the corner. The durso is pretty loud but its not THAT loud that I get annoyed with it. I think when I move the tank after the floor is reinforced I am going to switch to a siphon style

Ou8me2
11/14/2016, 10:48 PM
What with all the foam or bubbles in the overflows? I have a Durso and it's pretty darn quiet and in fact, my fan I use to sleep with is louder than my Durso.:spin2: I have a lot of water going over my overflow my Durso is running pretty much 100% open on 1 1/2" Durso standpipe and if I raise the water level it get's more quiet, but I have a canopy. I like to have more agitation or waterfall than some may like.

Okay my video and it really makes it seem louder than it really is and notice once I back off being close to it or outside the canopy you can't hear it. I can close off the valve to quiet it more and make less water go over the overflow. :lol2: My tank is literally 4 ft from my bed and I'm a very light sleeper and have no problems sleeping due to the noise. I have my pipe about 1" below the waterline in my sump. Like I said that is full 100% open and so is my return line. I'm using a Jebao DCT 4000 on setting 6 for the return. Tank is a 75 Gallon RR tank and I didn't use the return pipe in the overflow and drilled to place it at the opposite end of the tank. This is from when I setup the tank and still runs just as quiet today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfEyz6wQsHE

mwilliams62
06/04/2017, 07:31 AM
I too am in need of help with my setup sorry if this appears to be a hijacking this thread...... I have the duel overflow tank from Aqueon it is a 180. Return pump is a vectra M1. Right side overflow box has way more water in it then the left side and if i turn the pump open all the way the water spews out from the holes in the elbows on the return durso pipes. Then yesterday the left side drain made a funny burp sound and i heard loud water sound in the overflow box. Went to it and looked inside the overflow box and saw that the drain pipe had came out of the bulkhead. Are you supposed to glue the durso pipes into the top of the bulkheads? Plus the rivers sound going through the pipes.
I am now regretting not going with the tubing like i had on my 125 duel overflow tank it was dead silent.