PDA

View Full Version : DSLR recommendations.

zchauvin
03/13/2016, 06:35 PM
Hi guys, I cannot get a good picture with my cell phone for the life of me so looking into purchasing a DSLR. Can anyone recommend a good camera for starters. Not looking to spend a ton of money as this will be used primarily for this hobby. Thanks!

kilroy217
03/14/2016, 07:58 AM
The biggest thing you have to remember is that the camera doesn't take the photos. The photographer takes the photos. The camera is just the tool that the photographer uses. A DSLR is a more manual camera - meaning, it relies more on the photographer than a point-and-shoot. You could very well get better images if you use the DSLR correctly. But, they could actually also come out worse. My suggestion is to scour the internet on basic photography techniques and learn how to best take photographs. That will help you way more than purchasing a fancy camera.

All that being said, I personally am a fan of the introductory level Nikon DSLRs. Such as the D3300 or D5500 - they sell bundles with two lenses, carrying case, etc. They are great starter cameras, and if you get really into the photography hobby, you won't have to replace the camera (just the lenses). I used a D40 many years ago, which is now discontinued, but it was a great starter for me before I got really into it.

Happyschneider
03/14/2016, 08:05 AM
You could also get an all in one super zoom camera. They are not as versatile as a DSLR but they do make decent pictures. Important thing you want to look for is that they can make nice makro pictures as they make the corals look great. The fish as well, if you can catch them ;)

In general, it is good to have a tripod (also for your iphone) as it will improve sharpness tremendously, more than any camera hardware.

zchauvin
03/14/2016, 12:38 PM
Ok thank you I have had a canon 60D some years ago but if I remember correctly it was quite pricey (starter package) but I was able to get decent photos. I was looking for something that offered good ability but didn't cost quite as much. The 60D was cheap compared to some but for what I used it for, I soon sold it.

Happyschneider
03/14/2016, 01:05 PM
You could get a decent camera used. I used a 20 D until last year ;) it is the glass that costs. Even second hand, you still pay almost new prices. At least for the lenses worth paying for.

zchauvin
03/14/2016, 04:36 PM
You could get a decent camera used. I used a 20 D until last year ;) it is the glass that costs. Even second hand, you still pay almost new prices. At least for the lenses worth paying for.

The only place I know of to buy used is eBay and I don't trust anything on there. People love to sell junk. Can't go to a pawn shop because they will sell you something at 5x what they paid and sadly I know no one that has more than a phone camera. I was looking at the 70d or even a older 60d but still in the $500 range for only the body.

Misled
03/14/2016, 08:55 PM
You can buy used at both B&H dot com or Adorama. Both are well known and have great customer service.

Happyschneider
03/14/2016, 11:49 PM
Also if you have a local photography club or wedding photographers. They change equipment rather regularly. At least here. I agree, don't buy from eBay. For dslr you want to test a few things (number of exposures done, autofocus still working, dust on mirror, etc).

jroovers
03/15/2016, 02:04 PM
I think any of the Canon/Nikon starter packages would be good and would not involve much investment. Its easy to upgrade after that to newer/used equipment based on interest/need.

In regards to new vs. used, the only new piece of equipment I bought was a 6D body, and turns out the sensor was defective and had to be replaced (under warranty thankfully although I did have to pay for shipping). All the used gear I've purchased has held up wonderously well (knocking on wood), I think given the investment most people take pretty good care of their dslr gear.

zchauvin
03/15/2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys I will check out B&H. Do you think buying all new would be better or just the body would be ok. I saw the 60D is on sale now that the 70D has come out.

jason78
03/24/2016, 07:10 PM
I was a Nikon guy until I purchased a new Sony A7 II Full Frame Camera. THEY ARE AMAZING!

hunker
03/29/2016, 03:20 AM
Nikon and Canon will be about the same as far as quality is concerned. Nikon was always a bit more solid, I got the D7200 http://thedigitalcamera.net/canon-eos-70d-vs-80d-vs-nikon-d7200-whats-the-difference/

BigRick08
04/01/2016, 01:16 PM
I just purchased the Nikon D5500. Cant wait until it arrives! Still need to get a good macro lens though. From my research i got the mid grade or a step up from entry level. Get camera that leaves you room to grow. Just my opinion.

graybunny
04/03/2016, 01:59 PM
I'm partial to Canon. I think a good starter camera would be something in the Canon rebel eos group: T3- T6. My first full body camera was a T3 and I found that it was very intuitive. I've since upgraded to a 70D.

In terms of lenses, a macro lense is fantastic for photographing coral. I use a 60mm macro.

If you go on Canon USA, they sell refurbished lenses and camera bodies. I've purchased refurbished lenses and been completely satisfied with them.

Good luck!

Misled
04/03/2016, 02:58 PM
I'm partial to Nikon. I'll tell you to go to a camera store and put the camera in your hand. See what feels good in your hand. Play with the controls. Then look at the brand you like. You're buying a system, not a camera. Buy quality lenses. These will stay with you long after you've switched bodies. I shoot with Nikon. The controls are intuitive to me. I don't have to look for them, my hand already knows where they are. I can shoot the same shots with Canon. It will just take me more time to set a shot. Buy what's comfortable to you. Not what someone on a fish forum tells you to.

lobstergrabber
04/03/2016, 03:34 PM
One thing I recommend to everyone that shops with me. Nikon is fine but if you want to buy Nikon go straight to a full frame camera. If you buy any lenses for the entry level cameras they will no transfer to a full from later.
If you buy a canon entry level it is fine to purchase "EF" lenses(the full frame lenses) and they will function flawlessly on your entry level body. Then you can upgrade to a full fram later and your lenses go with you.

Both platform take great pictures in the hands of someone who knows how to manipulate them.

Richard

Misled
04/03/2016, 04:52 PM
That also isn't true. While the DX lenses don't shoot full frame, All the full frame lenses work on any body. I have Nikon's Holy Trinity, while made to use full frame, they shoot fine on my D300, a crop body. My 300 also will work with any lens that will work on any Nikon FF body.

Happyschneider
04/03/2016, 09:23 PM
In a first step it does not matter so much what camera you buy. More importantly you need to read up on the relationship of all the settings and how they help you getting the image you want. Luckily, corals give you enough time to try out the different settings before they move away ;)

andrewbram
04/03/2016, 09:38 PM
Sony a600 if your on a budget. If you want the whole sha-bang go with a7 ii or a7rii

zchauvin
04/04/2016, 11:08 AM
Man a lot of suggestions lol. I really like the canon models as it's the only one I've ever used and so I kind of know my way around it. What do you guys think of the new 70D?

Misled
04/04/2016, 02:02 PM
Any newer DSLR camera body is good. It's more the lenses and the gray matter behind the camera that makes the difference.

cody6766
04/16/2016, 11:17 AM
I have a T5i and it's treated me well for a while. I used and older XTi before that. Both cameras are capable of better pictures than I am. I used an older entry level Nikon before getting the XTi and it was also a fine camera. I preferred the Canon controls, but that's the only thing that encouraged the switch.

The 70D is a better camera than the T5i, so there's definitely nothing bad about moving in that direction. Look on Amazon and you might find some good package deals. That's where I got my T5i. I'm sure they have them for the 70D as well.