PDA

View Full Version : What could IT be?!

budlover
03/13/2016, 07:47 PM
I'll keep this as short as possible but still try to explain in detail! I had a 75G for all of 2 months maybe a week or two longer. I didn't realize refractometers needed to be calibrated and so while I thought the salinity was good at 1.024 it was actually 1.034 and by the time I figured that out I lost all my fish. A friend was selling a new 125g that I couldn't pass up. So I put new sand in the 125g and added most of what was in the 75g on top cause I wanted a deep sand bed and added my live rock and a few more pieces. I let it run for almost a week with just my turbo snails and hermit crabs, a piece of bubble tip anemone and another small coral and all looked great, took a water sample to the LFS and everything was great. That was Feb 5th. Feb 8th I added 2 clowns, Feb 8th I added a blue sided wrasse and a purple pseudochromis. Everyone is doing great so lastly I add a yellow Tang and Queen Angelfish along with a Gobi and peppermint shrimp Feb 21st. The Angel had white spots on her when I got her but all my fish were doing great and the white actually seemed to go away after a week. I did probably a 25 percent water change Feb 28 or 29th and 2 days later I notice white spots on the chromis/tang/angel, body and fins. March 2nd the Angel died, on the 5th the Tang doesn't seem to have as much white and is eating lots. Always going over to the shrimp but the shrimp pays no attention. By March 10th, clowns are white spotted and not eating, tang is caked in white spots and no sign of chromis! On the 11th 1 clown is dead and no sign of the other or the gobie with the tang dying the next day. The wrasse looks great, no spots and eating well. Shrimp is alive, snails, crabs, coral and anemone are looking super.
Parameters seem great but can't get any sort of ammonia reading even after trying 3 times, water just doesn't change colour at all but I'll take it to the lfs tomorrow again. I've done a lot of research but still don't know. I have plexiglass covering 80 percent of the top but just read that may trap gases so maybe I'll take it off and leave it open? Temp's at 78-79, I have a 40g sump, with a deep sand bed and live rock for filtration with a coralbox d500 skimmer. I have twin rw-8's that seem to give lots of flow. I have 6 T5 48" lights running 10hrs on. I have an LED light that comes on in the sump when the display goes off.
So much for my long story short...anything that jumps out at anyone please let me know, I don't want to give up :(
I'll attach pics tomorrow. Thanks!

CarrieB
03/13/2016, 08:25 PM
Sounds like ick. You need to leave your tank fishless for 72 days and quarantine future fish.

Bent
03/13/2016, 09:14 PM
I don't even know what to say...

There is so much your doing wrong and I really don't have time to type much else except to tell you to stop right now any and all aquarium activities. Someone with the time to steer you correctly will be a long and I will try to contribute tomorrow.

mgraf
03/13/2016, 09:35 PM
Umh.....Slow down.

BrandonFlorida
03/14/2016, 07:42 AM
Dude give it a few more days inbetween adding fish. Slow down like everyone on her says. Ive had a 180 gallon tank for about a year and have 3 fish lol. now you don't have to go that slow. QT any fish and I learned the hard way. Get a 40 breeder and put all fish into QT for at least 6 weeks. I do 8 weeks but I am very cautious.

slow down and relax. nothing in this hobby happens fast.

Also your tank is wayyyyy to young for any anemone... Please do more research and when you think your done, do some more research..

ezerasurfr
03/14/2016, 07:50 AM
nothing in this hobby happens fast.

Nothing good in this hobby happens fast.

The bad things usually happen very quickly.