PDA

View Full Version : Sohal or no sohal

Reel North
03/14/2016, 12:18 PM
ok. So the big day is fast approaching... Well, not so fast, but it is approaching! My rocks are going to be nuked to kill gelidium. Cycling shelf and Tonga branch now for a very open scape.

I'm looking to get a stocking list for my tank.

I will be keeping (maybe)

4" Blond Naso tang
One of 3 yellow tangs.
Regal angel

I also have a 6" desjardini sailfin, which is AWESOME, but a little bit of a rage case. If he's gotta go then so be it.

Will be adding

1 nevarchus (majestic angel) (3")
1 blue face or emperor Juvi

So here's the question.

Can I get away with a Sohal, or am I better to add a few anthias and a trio of bellus.

username in use
03/14/2016, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't.

Reel North
03/14/2016, 12:34 PM
Simple and to the point lol.

username in use
I try.

hkgar
Dispar Anthias.

davocean
03/14/2016, 12:38 PM
Me neither, they are so needy for space and a very large tank, and become super territorial.
I'd be pulling that sailfin too if it were my tank.

Reel North
03/14/2016, 12:45 PM
The sailfin is so beautiful but I know he's going to be massive. So sell him too then.

I'd really love to do a reef with Bellus, and navarchus, a yellow tang my naso and my regal angel. Of course a few anthias. That would be pretty much violence free I suppose?

Atomikk
03/14/2016, 02:58 PM
Stay away from Sohals unless it is your last fish to add to the tank AND you have about 1000 gallons to work with.

Sohals will kill fish in order to dominate the tank. I am speaking from personal experience witnessing a Sohal kill 3 fish (through bullying/biting/nipping/tail whipping).

Go with schooling fish.. anthias or cardinals are great.

Reel North
03/14/2016, 03:28 PM
More I read the more scared lol. I'm selling the sailfin as well. I have some friends with bigger tanks.

Going to do a school of dispar anthias. Amazing.

davocean
03/14/2016, 05:03 PM
Your tank is big enough to go w/ several species of anthia and a harem of each.
Lately the dispars I have seen come in have been looking beat up, and I see this posted in fish forum by others as well.i Had better luck starting off w/ lyretails which are usually pretty hardy, and they eat easier and train to pellets quicker, they often encourage the more sensitive species to come out and eat.
Make sure to QT

Reel North
03/14/2016, 05:50 PM
So here is a sample stocking list then

Naso. Not negotiable, and will be going to 8 ft tank within 2 years. My kids love him, and so do I.

Regal angel (Red Sea)
Majestic angel (3")
Yellow tang
Magnificent foxface

Either emperor or blue face juvi

Melanarus wrasse, coris wrasse and a couple cool flasher wrasse

Total of 10-15 anthias

Anything I should add?

fishresponse
03/14/2016, 10:23 PM
I've had a really mean sohal which fits the stereotypical view and I have one now that isnt that bad. Of course I got him when he was smaller but he's getting along with a tomini tang and a desjardini tang. Long story short, they are a pain but a beautiful fish if you have the space and don't mind having him be the last fish you add.

snorvich
03/15/2016, 06:06 AM
I wouldn't.

And I agree.

Reel North
03/15/2016, 12:19 PM
And I agree.
Me too. Sohal is out.