PDA

View Full Version : Temp jumping around?

alten78
03/14/2016, 12:58 PM
I've had an issue where my temperature fluctuates pretty wildly, it can jump anywhere up or down by .1-.8 degrees within seconds. It appears to only happen when my retro T5s are on. Someone once said that it was a tell tale sign that my ballast was going bad. I replaced that with a brand new one and still did it. Replaced both end caps, continued, replaced bulbs and still continues. While I was at it I just replaced the reflectors because why not, so now I have basically a whole new light setup!

My last thought would be the temp probe? but that wouldn't make much sense since it only appears to happen when the T5's are on?

Member No. 1
03/14/2016, 02:41 PM
Sounds like interference from the lights. Take a cup of tank water, put the temp probe in it, and move the wire for the probe away from any other wires and see if you still get the fluctuations. Try it both with lights on and off.

alten78
03/14/2016, 03:05 PM
While in the cup of water, it is just slightly less jumping with the lights on. With lights off, there is no jumping around. Im not sure if its normal as well, but the Amp and tmpx2 move up and down quickly regardless if the T5's are on or off. Amp with go from 2.1-2.5 within seconds.

Member No. 1
03/15/2016, 03:50 AM
Definitely sounds like some sort of interference with the T5's as it doesn't seem to effect the reading when the lights are off.
Just as a test, plug the lights directly into the wall or with an extension cord, another outlet and see if you still get interference.

You stated reto-fit T5. Was it a kit or something you DIY'ed. Maybe recheck the wiring and be sure it's grounded properly.

Maybe try an email to Neptune for input or suggestions.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

alten78
03/15/2016, 09:18 AM
Yes, it was a kit, a used one at that. At this point the only thing I didn't change was the wiring itself. This particular ballast doesn't have its own grounding slot in the wiring, but I do have it grounded through the chassis to the stand.

Good thinking on trying it on a different outlet with extension cable, I'll try that later today after work.

I have a JR and have had issues ever since I added a new EB8, both pieces have been to and back from Neptune several times. Everything else FINALLY appears to be working, but they didn't have an answer for this.

alten78
03/18/2016, 03:27 PM
Finally managed to get this done, ran an extension cord from a different outlet to the T5's, same result, bouncing around. New bulbs, sockets, and ballast, i guess the last thing to replace is the wiring. The wiring is straight forward and doesn't appear bad, but something must be off...

This is the ballast i am using - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FB08QU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Member No. 1
03/19/2016, 06:34 AM
How many lamps?
How many channels?
If multiple channels, try only running one at a time.
Also try removing the lamps, then turning the light on to see if you still get interference.
Is the temp probe in the tank or sump?
Hope you get this worked out, I'm running out of things to try.

alten78
03/19/2016, 07:03 AM
Just two lamps, assuming one channel because they both turn on at the same time. The temp probe is in the sump, ive tried putting it in the display but the results were the same. I will try removing the lamps and let you know.

Thanks for all of the tips to try, it certainly is a pain hearing the fans turn off and on non stop once the temp gets about that high!

Member No. 1
03/19/2016, 11:29 AM
Just two lamps, assuming one channel because they both turn on at the same time. The temp probe is in the sump, ive tried putting it in the display but the results were the same. I will try removing the lamps and let you know.

Thanks for all of the tips to try, it certainly is a pain hearing the fans turn off and on non stop once the temp gets about that high!

Until you get this worked out, you might be able to use a DEFER command in the fan program so the temp would need to stay at a certain temp for X amount of time before they come on. Same way you would code a ATO to stop going on and off due to the float bouncing from waves in the sump.

FullBoreReefer
04/01/2016, 06:22 PM
I add the defer program also. My temp probe in my mixing station jumps wildly like that also, the main tank is steady as can be.

So I add a 2min defer to turn on the salt mixing heater.