PDA

View Full Version : FoxFace - heart attack, epilepsy, or what?

BlackTip
03/15/2016, 08:26 AM
Five fishes were in QT - Fiji FoxFace, LineSpot Flasher, Midas Bleny, Blue head fairy wrasse, and Diamond Watchman.

2 rounds of Parazi Pro followed by 50% water change.
Cupramine were dosed over 3 days, 6 doses one every 12 hours, concentration is 4ppm using Salifert test kit.

Diet: Spirulina brine shrimp, LRS reef frenzy, and Emerald mix cubes. I put Nori sheets and Sea Vigies, but the FoxFace wouldn't touch it. All fishes were eating fine.

The Fairy wrasse didn't look well in the first 10 days. Gills and eyes were red, and he didn't eat for a week. Then he came back and started eating and swimming for few days, then back to hiding with red gills, eyes and body.

What happened:
The Watchman died on the third day of dosing cupramine.

The FoxFace acted like a mad fish right after eating. He swam so fast hitting himself in the glass, then swam in circles. Later on the same day after a second feeding, he did the same thing only worse. I witnessed it all. He started eating then started darting towards the bottom of the tank and walls, then he stopped even breathing and floated in water like a corpse. He stuck in the powerhead and I thought he was dead. No motion, no breathing, absolutely nothing. Then, 2 minutes later, he back to swimming again and looked alive this morning.

Anyone have experience something like this? Is it the copper?

Thanks,

snorvich
03/15/2016, 09:05 AM
Was the quarantine cycled? Why copper?

BlackTip
03/15/2016, 09:35 AM
Was the quarantine cycled? Why copper?

The QT was not cycled, but I do frequent water changes. 2G every 3 days, 5g between ParaziPro treatments, and 10 right before I used cupramine 4 days ago. The HOB filter was seeded with sponges that has been in my sump for few weeks.

I use cupramine as prophylactic treatment. I am not comfortable doing TTM. I did the same procedure 3 times with success.

After what happened to the Gobi and the FoxFace, I went ahead and did 25% water change to reduce the copper concentration, which was already low.

snorvich
03/15/2016, 09:39 AM
You must use a Seachem test kit. And I strongly recommend TTM

BlackTip
03/15/2016, 10:13 AM
You must use a Seachem test kit. And I strongly recommend TTM

So, do you think it is the copper, ammonia, or something else?

I am very cautious with Cupramine. And I know for a fact that the concentration is less than the recommend dose of .5ppm. I calculate and count every and each drop.

snorvich
03/15/2016, 12:05 PM
Hard to say with not enough information. Could be any. Copper is not a good tool for a variety of reasons.