PDA

View Full Version : Dosers or calcium reactor

adw
03/15/2016, 05:45 PM
I have a set of brs dosing pumps and a reef octopus calcium reactor with a carbon doser regulator. I'm trying to decide which one to set up on my new (to me at least) 180. I've had calcium reactors in the past which were both good and bad experiences but I've never just dosed. It will be a mixed reef with plenty of sps. If I went doser I like the idea of eventually getting a DOS.

tommyboynj
03/15/2016, 08:50 PM
Having dosed two part for 5 years I took the opportunity the move to a calc reactor when I set up my new build. All I can say is that just in a month or so of use, I don't plan on going back to two part. Sure, things can go bad with with a reactor but with today's controllers you can stop them before thing get out of hand. I bought a DOS also and planned to use it for two part until a friend suggested I make the move to a reactor. Now I'm using the DOS for AWC.

royvoss
03/15/2016, 09:12 PM
I agree with the above, been through the same thing, the stability is incredible

Wazzel
03/15/2016, 09:38 PM
On a 180 I would do a reactor. I burn through so much 2 part on my 60 cube/20 frag tank it is rediculous. 100 extra gallons would cost a fortune. I am going to start my 120 on the doser since I have it, but plan on moving to a carx when I get the funds.

Zwickm
03/15/2016, 10:16 PM
Started the hobby with dosing then switched to a reactor and would never go back.