PDA

View Full Version : green flower pot coral

Cancun
03/15/2016, 07:08 PM
Hi all....I got a medium green flower pot coral from LA several weeks ago...I placed it in the sand and left it alone. It opened up right away. Then today I came home from work and it was all closed up. And hasn't opened. Any ideas? Also how hard are flower pot corals.....? Target feeding? Light? Water movement? Thanks in advance!

Dkuhlmann
03/16/2016, 07:10 AM
They're one of the hardest LPS corals there is to keep and most won't make it a year in our tanks. There are of course exceptions to that rule. I have two frags that I keep in a low flow area with decent lighting in that spot, and they usually extend daily but on some days not at all. There are many threads about them here on RC so I suggest that you do a search for them and read all that you can. Good Luck!

JamesFWB
03/18/2016, 12:03 PM
Mine did the same thing, I moved it to less flow and it opened up a little more, but not much. I'll leave him in the tank until he dies and not buy another Green one. I do hear that the red ones are easier to keep.

Dkuhlmann
03/18/2016, 03:56 PM
If you are going to get a Goni I would only buy the ORA Goni's. They're a much hardier coral than wild caught.

Webmanny
03/22/2016, 11:01 AM
I've read this story so many times. They are very hard to keep in new tanks and semi-hard to keep happy in low nutrient tanks. I've had mine for about 2 years now and there are days that it shows me it is not too happy and I feed it, then it all goes back to normal.

I don't know exactly what makes them thrive in my tank, but I can tell you that they are a bit on the harder side to keep happy. Good luck.

This is mine when it is happy:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Topt9nI8MRM/VG1KtP5XS4I/AAAAAAAAHlw/3I_ck41zuW8ttM8XSoCxttUPSc7Nkk61wCCo/s800-Ic42/IMG_20141119_183829.jpg

This is mine when it is sad:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XmiDwoVdI0k/VjUF1TGwqmI/AAAAAAAAMr4/nWo7VLjp9g4Em0PZxJC3tXyKOzLUQdeXwCCo/s800-Ic42/upload_-1