PDA

View Full Version : Detritus "vacuum"

Darth Vedder
03/15/2016, 11:16 PM
Anyone have any ideas on a good type of external pump that can be used that will pull a vacuum on a length of hose?

What I envision us being able to suck watt up a flexible hose into the pump, then have the pump push the water through a typical 10" filter canister and then back into the sump?

I want to be able to vacuum out my sump and auxiliary tanks that collect detritus without having to change our water like I do when performing a water change

Using a regular syphon to do this works but to clean out my frag tank Refugium sump etc ends up being a 30-40 gallon change on my 200 plus gallon system and I always feel rushed and don't get everything before I have to stop since I only gave 50 gallons if prepared saltwater on hand at any given time

It seems like this could work if I had the right kind of pump

Thanks in advance

Darth Vedder
03/15/2016, 11:23 PM
could something like a small wet dry vac be modified to do this with either a felt filter to collect the detritus or route it through a canister filter?

Just thinking out loud and thought I'd see if anyone has done something similar before I reinvent the wheel

Moort82
03/16/2016, 06:05 AM
You can get air powered (as in air pump powered) syphons which go through a bag. Is that man enough for what you need?

StevieK
03/16/2016, 06:19 AM
Looking for same, all tricks have not worked so far

MondoBongo
03/16/2016, 07:39 AM
i have a small pond pump, around 200gph, that i place in a 5 gallon bucket, with a length of hose running back in the tank.

then i run my siphon line in to a filter sock, which i mount in the bucket with a spring clamp.

then i can siphon all i want without losing a drop.

you can also ditch the return pump entirely if you have a sump. just place the outlet for the siphon in the filter sock, and place it in the sump. then siphon away. the filter sock catches all the nasty, and the water flows through in to the sump, where it is pumped back to the display via the normal route.

bfree59
03/16/2016, 10:19 AM
You can use a double diaphragm air pump then run outlet thru a canister filter.

Member No. 1
03/16/2016, 10:24 AM
I use an old canister filer that I stuff with filter floss from Michael's.

Put the return in the sump, vacuum, then throw out the floss. Super cheap.

It only takes about 1 gallon to fill the filter to run.

With this method, you can take all the time you need.

As a plus, I have the canister filter around in case I need an emergency reactor for carbon or some other media.

hann1bal
03/16/2016, 11:03 AM
I know you didn't want to water change but i personally just used a "bucket head" vacuum from home depot with attachments and it worked great. Slow suction allowed little water but alot of gunk. Just and FYI

Bucket head
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-BH0100/202017218

Attachment cleaning kit (attacments are small and slow water suction)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-Micro-Cleaning-Kit-VT1215/100139249

Breadman03
03/16/2016, 11:27 AM
I'd look into a small Mag pump. Attach flexible tubing on the inlet and outlet ,with the outlet directed into a filter sock. A mag pump that could replace your return pump in a pinch could come in handy.

cvegz
03/16/2016, 12:20 PM
I'd look into a small Mag pump. Attach flexible tubing on the inlet and outlet ,with the outlet directed into a filter sock. A mag pump that could replace your return pump in a pinch could come in handy.

+1 thats exactly what i do to vacuum my sump, works perfectly

insomniac2k2
03/16/2016, 12:53 PM
I do this the same exact way. Instead of being concerned with how much im sucking out of the sump, i embrace the opportunity to replace it with NSW.

I usually never go over 5g removed. Which is a lot of detritus removal.

I know you didn't want to water change but i personally just used a "bucket head" vacuum from home depot with attachments and it worked great. Slow suction allowed little water but alot of gunk. Just and FYI

Bucket head
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-BH0100/202017218

Attachment cleaning kit (attacments are small and slow water suction)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-Micro-Cleaning-Kit-VT1215/100139249

Darth Vedder
03/16/2016, 08:33 PM
I was thinking of those bucket vacs and modify it to go through a filter sock or canister filter than back to the sump.

I have a mag 5 laying around I'll see how that works, I was thinking those only pushed water but I guess once the "syphon" hose was filled it would prime and work. Wasn't thinking about that

Thanks for all the ideas so far

ca1ore
03/16/2016, 10:55 PM
Any external pump will do what you propose. I used to do something similar with a canister filter ahead of the pump so you don't damage the impeller. Once primed, it sucks water through just fine until the canister clogs.

DIRK GRIFFIN
03/17/2016, 10:03 AM
For years I have been using a 36" 3/8" rigid tubing attached to a similar sized hose and drain into a pail. I use my other hand as a brake, crimping the hose when I wanted it to stop and just keep bouncing and bending around until things are clear.
1/4" always seemed to plug up too much for me...but could work for you
Filling up a 5 gal pail takes 5-6 minutes.
A quick-precise vacuum and water change. Can also get into corners and tight areas fairly well.
Was just thinking the Cobalt E-X-T inline pump which can be run in/out of water. It could be hooked up as a vacuum pump using the same type tubing. I would not try to re-use this water.
Either way, I would just do a water change and get 2 benefits while doing one thing...

Arthur1
03/17/2016, 11:26 PM
I was going to propose what Ca1ore but was beat to the punch. It really is as simple as that.

Raoul5Duke
03/18/2016, 07:30 AM
I purchased this, the idea is great but in reality the pump that powers it is not sufficient enough but I believe this is the concept you are describing.

https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/products/power-gravel-cleaner

Darth Vedder
03/18/2016, 10:32 PM
Yup that pretty much is what I'm after, but I would want it to be powerful enough so I thought going sit approach would be best

jalisco
03/26/2016, 08:06 PM
I've work on settling ponds. Have you tried just syphoning off as much detritus rich water as you want, let it completely settle and pump in back into your sump? I would think as long as your pump isn't isn't near the detritus on the bottom of the holding container, you'd be putting pretty close to "as clean" water as you took out.

WireTech
03/27/2016, 04:56 PM
I use a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum 250. I modified the intake with a hose to vacuum my tank and sump. I just hang it on the side of the sump and go. No loss of water from tank.Works great. Easy to clean after use. I see parts are still available but don't see this filter for sale any longer. Would think something similar would be available.

Ah64av8tor
03/27/2016, 05:43 PM
I use a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum 250. I modified the intake with a hose to vacuum my tank and sump. I just hang it on the side of the sump and go. No loss of water from tank.Works great. Easy to clean after use. I see parts are still available but don't see this filter for sale any longer. Would think something similar would be available.

I used the same HOT filter for years for just that purpose. The filters clogged up but they worked fantastic! Any powered canister filter should work too. I know Eheim still has some reasonably priced models.

Ourlittlereef
03/28/2016, 07:36 AM
what about something like this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3580+16742&pcatid=16742&s=lh

jason.williams
03/28/2016, 04:13 PM
http://youtu.be/R5yYY3l-tzQ